Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beautiful Colorado evening, caught this little fella and a 16" rainbow drifting minnows in 8-12' of water.  Also had a large walleye up to the boat, but broke off!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I must be doing something wrong. My wife & I have drifed minnows all over the lake 3 times this month. Caught one smalley by the dam. We have had some success trolling sparkel tails for trout, but no walleyes. I am not marking many fish in that shallow of water, mostly in 30 -50 ft and suspended around 12 - 20 foot for active fish.

Do you do that well often?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fished earlier in the day and only got one small smallie. The key seemed to be drifting very slowly, which I couldn't do until the wind died down. I have since invested in a drift sock.

Also, I think it's hard to rely on electronics to see fish near the bottom in shallow water...the boats spooks them maybe. I just find good feeding habitat, fish during low light conditions, and go slow.

Good luck!

·
P I K E
10,159 Posts
paddlefish said:
Fish the dam. It's crawling with smallies
    Smallies that crawl ?  Thats proof right there what the water from Rocky Flats does to the life in that lake...LOL...just kidding paddlefish, couldn't resist that one!!   :eek:
btw nice fish dtromp , keep it up!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice catch and thanks for the report. I was just there two nights ago from shore and it seemed no one was catching. I stayed 'til the rain started and the sun was going down.

Any hints for the shore fisherman/person?

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts