Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would get ahead of the memorial day crowd and do a little fishing. I went to Stanley lake and launched the boat at 2:00pm started to work the edges of 18-20 ft off the island looking for walleye and smallies. Found a good spot on the north side of the island and stated fishing. The water temp was 64 degrees and it was calm and overcast.

I was dead sticking one rod with a minnow and casting a grub on the other. After about 20 minutes my bobber went bye bye into the deep it was a big smallie. When I got her to the net I measured her at 22" and a very fat girth. She was very light colored like she had recently come from deep stained water. I released her and relized that was my personal best for smallies. I left the camera at the house so no picks. Sorry guys and gals.... then after a few more smallies  on grubs and no walleyes I went searching.

Fished the edge of the island to the bouy line pulling bottom bouncers and large colorado spinner blades orange. in 25 to 30 ft of water. One rod starts thumping and didn't put up much of a fight until it go to the boat.... no walleye ...trout ski 19 bow. Keep it for the oven and make another pass at that GPS mark.. same results but bigger and fater. Had to go home now. good day on the water but  no walleye or wiper. I did talk to one guy at the cleaning station and he caught 2 dink walleye trolling wally divers on the south shore. My one question for anyone who fishes Stanley where are the wipers!??????? Whenwas the last time they put a wiper in that lake????

here is a pic of the dinner fish at home.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
NICE!!

If you have a pic of that smallie, we'd love to see that too!!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
good report....nice smallie for sure, im jealous.....

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
pescadorutah

When I got her to the net I measured her at 22" and a very fat girth
Maybe I hate to say this but when you plug in 22 inches at this website http://www.outdoor-links.com/weightfish.htm for smallies...it comes in a 5.92 pounds which is an approximation...ummmmm ugh...the Colorado State record smallie is 5 pounds 12 ounces which is 5 and three quarters of a pound and was 21 inches long...not that I mind you releasing a possible state record...but I wonder if you knew you might have been close?!...any way great job...a fish to be proud of!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have caught two wiper at Standley this year. It was early in May. I caught them on a single hook with a worm hooked right in the bull nose. Both fish were good size and haven't caught anything small in several years out there so I don't think they have stocked them in awhile. The rangers don't seem to know anything about fishing out there. I caught them in 12 feet of water over the northern sunken ridge.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
pescadorutah said:
No idea .. well that is a fish I won't forget.
Thanks for releasing that for someone else to catch. BTW great fish I wish you the best of luck in the future!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts