Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the report on wipers at Stanley I thought I would give it a try. I got to the lake around ten and made my way over to the bouy line as I started to make the turn near the island with all the pelicans my drag started to scream. This is a dropoff of 3 to 20 ft. As my lure started to walk up the face of the drop off it got hit. Got the fish to the boat and it tried to wrap itself around the motor and dive under the boat. Finally I got it to the net and enjoyed the site of a good looking wiper. This was the first of 6 wipers for the day. I kept one of the fish all were about 20 to 22 inches and fat. The water temp was 69 to 71 degrees.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On one rod I was pulling a chrome and blue rattletrap an on the other I had a rainbow taildancer both caught fish.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Nice catch man. Ive been chasing wipers for awhile now and yet to catch a keeper. Ive been to Bonny .. N. Sterling .. Pueblo .. Lonetree .. Douglas .. Union .. Boyd ( im not sure if theres wipers in this one. People say there is but have not ever seen one ). But nothing too brag abbout.. Thanks for the report maybe today or so i'll head up there ... Keep reporting ..

steve

T

·
0 Posts
Nice- Hey Steve- Went to Boyd last night and some guy there did catch 2 small wipers (not white bass).

What area is best to fish Standley from shore?

Tony M.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Guys have shown me white bass at Boyd and called them wipers, but I have a good friend who knows the difference who says he is catching 10-12" wipers there periodically, which would have to have been stocked in 2003 or early 2004. The park also now says there are wipers in Boyd. Should be a good wiper lake. I'd think it was a good walleye lake if I ever caught a keeper walleye there. Frustrating to catch hoards of 12" walleye there all the time.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I hear that cutthroat! Boyd has been kindof dissappointing with the walleyes the past couple of years.

Steve, give Jackson a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts