Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some rod and reel from cabelas I bought last year. It has backing on it. I think the best thing to start practicing is casting. So I have a few questions.

I need a leader and tippet I'm pretty sure.
What do you guys think would be a good fly to tie on and practice so I can get better at casting.... I don't really care if I catch something on it at this point. Just wanna get better. I'm thinking not an indicator and little nymph because the distance on it isn't real far and I don't think I'll get much improvement on casting. But I could be wrong. Any suggestions or pointers is very appreciated.

·
Registered
485 Posts
If casting practice is what you want, there is no need to hit the water. Go out in the back yard, front yard, local park, or whatever and practice casting. Instead of using a fly tie on a small piece of yarn to the tippet and have at it. Feel the loading of the rod and practice your 10 to 2 casting arc. Once you can get at least 20 feet or so out without tangling the line (wind knots) you should hit the local stream or lake and give it a go. On most streams you don't need a million yards of line out.....quite a few fish can be caught close to the banks.

Of course this is just my opinion. I am sure others can give you a few more pointers.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Just ask the flailers on any flailing forum. They'll welcome you with open arms. Of course, they are kinda like the Scientology wierdos-

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Rig a dry/dropper rig(maybe a stimi and a copper john) and go chase browns in a creek. It's really fun.

You'll figure it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My advice would be to practice roll casting which in my opinion is easier and more versatile than the normal back cast. Much less flailing and therefore less tangling.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just ask the flailers on any flailing forum. They'll welcome you with open arms. Of course, they are kinda like the Scientology wierdos-
Yeah by no means will I ever be a fly fisher. More like just a guy who knows how to use a fly rod. Not knowing how to do something irritates me. So I hafta learn.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Buncha low-brow knuckle draggers..

Tie on a hopper variety fly and go catch blue gill, bass and crappie at some local pond. Helps to actually fish water to better feel the rod load as you pick line up off the water.

Top water bassin' is one of my favorite things to do in the summer with a fly rod.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I agree with pilot fly. Yard practice with yarn or a yarn indicator is the best place to start on casting. Lots of good videos on youtube to help you get it right. When you hear that snapping sound you know you got it right..
https://youtu.be/1O1nBE2YPW8?t=3m31s

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thabks everyone for the input. Turns out I already have backing and floating fly line. Lmao. It's cabelas so I'll use it to learn a basic knowledge of what I'm doing and then get a new fly line when I'm actually gonna fish it seriously.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Fly fishing is glorified bait fishin'.

Like a few have said practice on water. Grass is ok but i would rather practice casting while I fish.

Ponds usually a good place to practice overhead cast.

Roll casts are good for rivers(nymphing). If throwin a dry overhead cast.

Overhead cast:

Answer the phone(back cast motion), pause, throw a dart(forward cast motion)

On moving water get a drift that is drag free...look for something natural in the water(leaf, foam bubbles, ect) close to your fly and that will tell you if you have a good drift or not, if they are moving at the same speed.

Mending the line is important to learn and that takes experience but is prolly more important than casting

Or just chuck some streamers!!

Oh yea,

Wear eye protection.

Your fly line is prolly good as well. (when I started i was using late 1970's line in 1990's and used it for several yrs)

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
On the water actually fishing is the best as other have said IMHO too.

It will help you understand what the rod feels like loaded.

Try to fly-fish and NOT flail. I see plenty of flailers out there.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree with pilot fly. Yard practice with yarn or a yarn indicator is the best place to start on casting. Lots of good videos on youtube to help you get it right. When you hear that snapping sound you know you got it right..
https://youtu.be/1O1nBE2YPW8?t=3m31s
Unless the snap comes from your rod, as that usually indicates you have just added another section it ... ie a 2 pc just became a 3 pc or a 4 pc suddenly converted to a 5 pc & so on.

Believe me I know what I'm talking about, as I am something of an expert having converted at least half a dozen rods in my time !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts