Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
starting to see a little success on jig n pigs & 10" worms... swimbaits overdue

I don't have anything eye popping :eek: to post here. I just wanted wanted to post my progress report. I've spent a lot of time reading about largemouth this winter and early spring because my past success was limited to lipless cranks & Senkos. I like the variety of fishing whether you're talking species or techniques to get them. I hope to become as well rounded of a Colorado fisherman as I can be. So, largemouth have been getting some extra attention this year.

Friday I spent some time with the jig n pig but came up empty for LMB.

Poor stocker... I set the hook like he was a 10lb bucketmouth:

Gave the LMBs some more chances for a few more hours on a variety of tackle... still no love.

Headed over to an inlet area & caught a half dozen of these for a little while before I left:

Yesterday, I hooked up with my buddy who fishes the lake I cropped out. He does well there but had never fished the jig n pig, 10 inch power worm, or any large swimbaits. I say this because he tried to talk me out of having him use this 10" worm for his personal best at that lake. There was so much cover to snag that I didn't fish the 6" BBZ Perch for too long... maybe an hour... no bites. Then, for 2-3 hours we threw 10" power worms & here's the result-

my buddy's:

mine:

And, I finally got the jig n pig to work on LMBs (2 but one came off right before the net):

Thanks to EVERYONE who gave some jig n pig tips... especially: discloco, longdraw, & Brian @ Bass Pro (sorry I forgot your forum name). longdraw- I'm still wanting to swing by to buy some from you.

First successes with new techniques are always fun!

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Re: starting to see a little success on jig n pigs & 10" worms... swimbaits overdue

Don't even sell yourself short here...great not good job. I'm really trying anything other, anything new to me to fish with. Having a fair rate of success since last summer. Cool!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: starting to see a little success on jig n pigs & 10" worms... swimbaits overdue

Hey guys , I was wondering if any one can share a few tips ,maby places to hook in to some large mouth bass , I have been fishing all my life for trout and well this year I need something new , I've been to a couple ponds around where I live by that I got off the net , I have had no success , I've been using some rattle baits and top water but no luck. Since I'm new to bass I have limited tackle and not really sure how to set up soft plastics , any way if any one would like to help a new guy out on the hunt for his first bass it would be much appreciated... p.s. oh yea I practice catch and release on everything I catch , and I never leave the lake area with out my trash thank u again

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The net has resources galore. For books Swimbait recommended, "In Pursuit of Giant Bass" by Bill Murphy... very good so far (20% read). I saw where Fish Dr. recommended Bill Siemental. I hear Sowbelly is good too.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Thank you , yea I've been you tubbing a lot lookin at videos , I've also read a lot of convos on here it seems that there is a lot of over fishing of bass in the Denver metro area , I live in lalewood and I'm trying to find info on what ponds or lakes have bass in them , I know there isn't a lot of people on here who share secrets and I under stand why lol I was at the ponds on 44 th and lowell today and this guy caught 3 about 3 inches long , then i went and fished up the prospect ponds and I didn't see any one catch anything

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

huntin for bass said:
Thank you , yea I've been you tubbing a lot lookin at videos , I've also read a lot of convos on here it seems that there is a lot of over fishing of bass in the Denver metro area , I live in lalewood and I'm trying to find info on what ponds or lakes have bass in them , I know there isn't a lot of people on here who share secrets and I under stand why lol I was at the ponds on 44 th and lowell today and this guy caught 3 about 3 inches long , then i went and fished up the prospect ponds and I didn't see any one catch anything
So, I take it your after largemouth? Or, are you trying to get into all kinds of bass?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

huntin for bass said:
Yea large mouth and smallies
there's plenty of options if you're okay with both... Chatfield is a great numbers place for smallies

I would go for numbers first, then focus on size later

·
Registered
3,547 Posts

That is good stuff right there man! I normally don't start fishing big worms this the water is warm enough that I would not expire from a two minute dip, but if it works it works! Awesome.

Do you have a revised edition of "In Pursuit...?" I always assumed Lunker Bill must have fished swimbaits toward the end... ???

SS

"...this the water?"

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

swimbait said:
That is good stuff right there man! I normally don't start fishing big worms this the water is warm enough that I would not expire from a two minute dip, but if it works it works! Awesome.

Do you have a revised edition of "In Pursuit...?" I always assumed Lunker Bill must have fished swimbaits toward the end... ???

SS
3rd edition from 1999. I assume that's the latest?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts