Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what lake do you think the next state record bass will come from ? How many years before you think its broken?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
i think the arsenal has a possible state record ive heard of lots of 10 lbers, also pella crossing probley has some state records the bass in those lakes are big and fun to catch

·
Registered
119 Posts
Carter Lake definitely has some state-record size bass. If more fishermen targeted them, then a record-breaking bass could be caught at any time.

I've heard that the South Platte Fishing Lakes, which are supposed to open sometime this summer, have giant bass. So there's potential for a record-breaking catch whenever they open.

I also wouldn't surprise me if there's a record-breaker in Quincy, Cherry Creek, or Pueblo. Also, Riverside Park Pond near Evans used to produce bass bigger than 8 pounds somewhat regularly, and there was thought to be bass in excess of 10 pounds. I used to fish it several times a week and would rarely catch a bass under 15 inches. Same with Frank Easement. But, thanks to irresponsible fishermen who keep everything they catch and a DOW that neglects to enforce the rules, the sizes of the bass at these ponds has decreased dramatically in recent years, and in Riverside's case, the days of quality bass fishing are long gone.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
yea me and the wife use to fish river side all the time when we lived up there

i bet i use to catch a 7# 8# bass every month that we use to fish there

·
Registered
362 Posts
Where exactly are the South Platte fishing lakes? I've never heard of them. And why are they closed to the public?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cause the general public is going to ruin them ......I hope no bonehead in the paper writes about them and gets the weekend crowd there .......only a few people know about them and they are already getting trashed

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
just so the people on this site know dont keep to eat any fish from a golf course
the stuff they put on the grass washes into those ponds so dont eat the fish

·
Banned
487 Posts
On the west slope, highline, juniata, connected lakes, and the jerry creek reservoirs all probably have record bass. A 15 pounder might lurk in one of these lakes.
Harvey Gap is probably the best big bass fishery around though bass are low in number. A 17 pound largemouth and a 6 pound smallmouth were photographed at the lake but were never confirmed. As long as the photos weren't doctored, those two fish were real.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The south platte ponds are they the same ones at the south platte park ponds???And has anybody got directions for that place and when it opens?Thanx

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think Pella crossing stand a good chance. Never caught any small bass there.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
It will be cherry creek and some 8yr old kid will catch it on a worm :) God I hope not. I hope its one of us. Catch, Picture, Release

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Hey Jay, there have been some real nice bass in the 5-6 lb range caught a Cherry Creek lately. I have caught quite a few in the 3 lb range the last couple of years fishing jerkbaits for walleye. There seems to be alot of bass in there right now.

It wouldn't shock me at all if someone hung a pig there!

Quincy has some nice fish also, but it gets hammered!

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Nobody has really mentioned John Martin. It gets very little fishing pressure, has a longer growing year, and (when it is not down from drought) it has a lot of water to help grow a state record.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
most likely cherry creek; but on the west slope I'm sure connected lakes has fish that can barely get over the record; but not much higher. There are plenty fo bass around 6 pounds and some bigger but the lake just isn't big enough and it is hammered too hard with poor regulations on keeping the bass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts