Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm planning on heading up to the steamboat area with some buddies this weekend for my birthday, and I was hoping some of you could help me out! We were planning on fishing Stagecoach reservoir, but are definately open to other suggestions. None of us have ice fished in the area, and I would appreciate any advice on location, tactics, etc!

·
Registered
648 Posts
ive fished steamboat lake a couple times, and done very well using basic trout jigs. the ice is usually thick up there, the inlet on the west side was very good in about 15 fow. it was a couple years ago since ive been there.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I agree with silver, Steamboat lake is good. I've always done really well there. If you can make it down to sage flat, try the point to the north. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I've heard some good things about that lake! I used to fish there in the summer with my family when I was real young, but I don't remember any of it lol. I'm pretty excited about this trip...I used to hate ice fishing but in the last couple years I've really come to enjoy it! I just re spooled my reels and picked up some new lures, hopefully we can get a few fish this weekend!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I haven't iced Stagecoach this year but have in the past, i've had great luck by the inlet in 6-10 feet of water and all over by the boat ramps. I strongly suggest bringing a shovel, every time i've iced up there there has been atleast a foot of snow on top of the ice. Good luck and let us know how it is, i've been wanting to get up there and visit some family & do some ice fishing this winter but hate rabbit ears in the winter.

·
Registered
133 Posts
When I was there during elk season they are preparing to do maintenance on the dam and are draining a BUNCH of water. There was nothing but mud from creek inlet for maybe a half mile to the east. The cove by the boat ramp was basically empty.
BUT that was in November.
Good news.. Its a smaller lake now so the fish should be easier to find right? :)
Good luck - Let us all know how you do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts