Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty stoked looking forward to some fishing in a part of the state I have never fished before. My wife and her brother (both hunters) have tags for Three Forks Ranch in late October. I am coming along (non-hunter) as we are staying in a cabin at Hahns Peak Roadhouse. Never been there before so hope the cabin is at least warm! Anyway, it looks from the fishing atlas and from some posts here on the forum that both Steamboat Lake and Hahns Lake are pretty good fishing spots. While the brother/sister team is hunting the elusive elk I'll be paddling around in my pontoon on one or both of the lakes.

Okay, so you are probably asking - why aren't I hunting. I am safer on a lake or stream fishing than on a mountain hunting. My degree in college was in geology and I usually find myself looking at rocks, rock formations, and general geology rather than concentrating on hunting for an animal. Figured it was safer to just stick to fishing while the rest of the family does the hunting. Not against hunting - just ain't safe when I not paying attention to business.

Anyway, if any of you folks have suggestions for either lake feel free to make some suggestions. Primarily a fly fisherman but can be convinced to chuck a spoon or such if it comes to that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was at Steamboat last year around the time you'll be there. Caught tons of <14" stockers. Couldn't keep them off. I've heard there are bigger fish in there but you have to get your fly past the little ones. If I had it to do over again I would try some bigger articulated sex dungeons/circus peanuts in the hopes that the smaller fish might not be able to get hooked so easily. I mainly fished the SW bays that had inlets but there were fish everywhere in that lake. I also hit Pearl lake which is only a few miles away. There were a bunch of grayling rising that were tough to catch but small dries on 6x got it done. Also some trout in there too. Boat is helpful on both, Pearl is electric only. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
That's a great time of year for Steamboat Lake.

Throw some wolly buggers.

I've fished Hahns a few times. Always small fish. Real small. But I've never fished it that time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
397 Posts
Steamboat Lake is awesome, but I have not been there in a long time. That is where I caught my personal best bow about 10 years ago at 27 inches long.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Just got back from SS.

Love that area.

Did not wet a line but golfed and hung out with some great peeps.

The rivers can be fun but

I know you were looking to poon around. lol

pm sent

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hahns Peak RH is freaking awesome and the entire area is really great. Can't say much about SL but Pearl Lake (right across the road) has a very good population of cutties. I found that belly boating the north end proved the best fishing and brown tubes/tazzies worked best.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took a quick trip up to Hahns Peak Roadhouse to spend the night and do some recon on the road from Steamboat Lake up to Three Forks Ranch on Hwy 129. Right after Columbine the road is gravel for the next 12 miles into the ranch. Bit concerned about the road in October but with good tires and four wheel drive on the Silverado it should be okay.

What surprised me and concerns me a bit is the information we got at the marina at Steamboat Lake. I am thinking about taking my 9 foot pontoon up with me in October (23-27) and fishing while the wife and her brother hunt. When I asked the three yahoos at the desk they said I could certainly store my pontoon somewhere but the marina store is closed in mid September and the lake will be frozen. It was at that point I decided these summer help kiddo's have no clue and wonder how much bad information they have given folks that stop by the marina.

While there picked up our Colorado State Parks pass and did a short visit to Pearl lake. Once back at the roadhouse we talked to a few of the full time folks and they assured us that the lakes wouldn't be frozen in October and that rather some of the best fishing of the year happens in October. Glad I asked someone who knows whats what. Also from reading the posts on this site I have gotten some good information. Thanks for those who have posted on the two lakes over the years. It is greatly appreciated.

Now just having a hard time having to wait till I can spend the week up there and do some serious fishing. Hoping the spouse and her brother get their elk and that the winter storms don't do too much to the dirt roads into and out of Three Forks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts