Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone live in the area or frequent it on a regular basis? I have been doing some research as I will be up there next weekend for a friend's bachelor party - they are going golfing and I'm hitting the rivers.

A pm would be great if you do, I'm not looking for your secret spot just some more info on some areas I have been looking into.

·
Registered
438 Posts
fish at the 'James Brown; soul center of the universe bridge". I'm thinking I need to get back to the bridge. be kool fellow soul sisters and soul brothers.8)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had no clue what you were talking about until I looked into it a little bit...the story behind that is pretty awesome.

Probably need to make a stop there just to say I did.

·
Registered
438 Posts
who would have thunk it would be there?? stop by and take a pic. fish the lake and the tailwater and you will do fine.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
who would have thunk it would be there?? stop by and take a pic. fish the lake and the tailwater and you will do fine.
I was really trying to get over to the bridge to at least get a picture to post up, but I never made it.

Thanks to those of you who provided some good information, had an amazing trip. From Thursday to Saturday I fished 6 different sections of water, tallying 3 different species (bows, browns and whitefish).

Water levels are perfect and given that the pro cycle was starting up today in Steamboat- the waters actually weren't as crowded as I thought they would be.

I ended up exploring 2 sections that I had done a lot of research on but never had a chance to fish and I can't wait to go back! Had one 20" fish break off at the net and caught several nice fish in the 18" range. Fished everything from streamers to dries to size 22 nymphs. Most of the luck was had on nymphs but I finally started to get some confidence throwing streamers as well.

I learned a lot being able to focus on fishing for three days straight. Something that I started to do was to simply change my depth rather than changing my rig all the time. The flies I was using had proven that they were going to catch fish so when I would face a period of no hits I would alter my indicator depth or weight and it would typically result in some action. One other lesson learned was don't be lazy when tying on a streamer! I was using a shortened 9'5x leader for nymphing and when that was slow I threw on a streamer for grins. First cast a really nice brown hammered it, jumped 2' in the air, gave me the bird and broke me off :mad:. I shortened my leader to about 5' where the line diameter was thicker and caught his little brother- I can see why people get addicted to fishing streamers..the takes are ridiculous!

No actual fish pictures because I was by myself and didn't want to deal with it, I do have some pictures of the scenery but I can't very well submit pictures that are completely blacked/blurred out. ::)

·
Registered
438 Posts
That's a nice area to set up camp and make day trips to many waters around the Soul Center of the Universe. Be cool Soul Brother 8)

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Nice! You can fish streamers anytime of year and they generally produce larger fish than other methods. The yampa is a quality fishery fo sho..

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the Yampa has a lot to offer I found out, can't wait to go back- hopefully this fall when the browns get going.

As far as streamers go, they are my favorite type of fly to tie because of how crazy you can get with them while still being effective. I just haven't fished them enough to be confident with them. When I finally did start seeing some action on them I began to understand some of the nuances- for instance I was casting across a faster seam to a slow pool behind a rock and I was either continuously mending, which gave the streamer a sinking/swimming action or I was giving it a downstream mend and letting the tension of the water on my fly line "swim" the fly downstream..if that makes sense. Both methods produced some awesome strikes.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm surprised you didn't get into any pike. I'd think they'd hammer a streamer. It might be a little warm still. Once October rolls around, the pike in the river get more active and there aren't any tubers to worry about. That can make for some fun days!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts