Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to lunch at 8pm. Didn't have to return til 9pm. Used half a piece of a rainbow trout colored Slug-O on an EWG Gamakatsu hook. Fished an opening in the cattails right before the outlet. 1st cast caught a small 9 " largemouth. Snapped a pic and threw him back. Casted again and caught another. Better size this time. About 11ish inches. Had a weird wound on it's side. Circular (I'm thinking bird attack) and black so it looks like he was in the process of healing. Threw him back. Decided to move around. Tossed here and there on the rockface dam. Nothing. Saw some big swirls though in unreachable waters on the inaccessible refuge side of the lake.

Came back and talked to a few fellow anglers equipped with stinkbait, shrimp and some cut up sunfish. Asked if I could see what was on the stringer. Wholy rusted metal, Batman!!! An 8 lb catfish! Looked about a good 28 to 30ish inches and not too fat or skinny. Not bad for Stearns. My lifepoints were low at this point in the 1hr game cause I was getting owned by the clouds of mosquitos. I now got a big goose egg on my neck. "The Woman" is gonna question this one  :p

The lil lake is full. The outlet has a bunch of water running out just like the ol' days. Decent amount of fish working the surface. Back to work and here's the report.

1eyeReD

·
Registered
43 Posts
Where is Stearns Lake? Must be nice to fish on your lunch break I don't even get one. Stay out of the automotive business! On the other hand it must suck to work on a Saturday night.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jtbass said:
On the other hand it must suck to work on a Saturday night.
Darn right it does!! But being at the lake with a rod and reel for 45 minutes calmed my nerves.

Stearns is NW of Broomfield. You can see it from HWY 287.

Here's directions I got off of some site:

Stearns Lake is located at the Carolyn Holmberg Preserve/Rock Creek Farm north of Broomfield at the junction of US Highway 287 and Dillon Road. The parking lot can be accessed from South 104th Street south of Louisville.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Red, we must be nearby one another; I live about eight miles from Stearns Lake. I guess it's the old "if it's close I doubt it's good" syndrome; I haven't given it any attention, but I'll have to try it out (maybe this evening!). Thanks for the report bro. Grace and peace.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No prob, Bubble!

There's quite a bit of them little largemouths. Small, but hey.. They're fun!! If you've got boots or something, the little openings in the cattails along the trail that are closer torwards the dam are good. These openings are a little flooded so you'll have some ankle high water to knee high. I'm not sure if body contact with the water's ok though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, I got there about 4:30 and tried some surface poppers; nothing; talked to a fella who was just leaving, he said he'd fished five hours with no results, though he did see a large tiger muskie cruising. Then about 5:15 a storm picked just that area to blow, thunder and sprinkle, so I came back home. 'Nother time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ALL: Got out to Stearns Sundau 7am-10am. Poppers for Muskies the first hour w/no results. Switched over to spinnerbait w/frog-colored rind and caught a nice 18" LM (looked like a football) on the north end of the rock dam in those submerged trees. Only action I had all morning, but it was a nice way to start Father's Day. Buff

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Thanks for the report.. We went there i think last weekend.. We saw a few Large Mouth Bass and then the storm came. So nothing there on that day either.. I'll prob go hit that pond up again sometime this coming up week or so.

I didnt know that they had catfish nights there.. Im not sure of the times but its somewhere in JULY for all you catfish lovers. Ive heard some stories of them monsters in that place but I have never tried for them..

steve

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
pescado loco said:
An 18" football lm would be a great way to start any day. What kind of blade was on the spinnerbait?
Is there any other kind of blade you fish in COLORADO besides a COLORADO blade??

hehe... just kidding :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Loco: It was a chartreuse Spinner bait with a round/silver/hammered blade. Frog colored/shaped pork rind on the hook. It's my main LM Bass setup.

Buff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts