Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I only moved here five years ago I am still learning about the various Ponds on the front range. Growing up in MIchigan one of are prize fish are steelies is there a place like spinney or elevenmile that has land locked steelhead.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I don't think so .... just Kokanee in Colorado...I visited MI last summer for first time...fishing paradise... I caught fish everywhere i went...and I barely fished a small percent of the waters around me... can't wait to get back.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Maybee someone can correct me but I thought landlocked steelhead were simply rainbows?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
very similar but grow larger some grow much larger

i think colorado might have stocked some in an expeirement many years ago cant remember if it was stealhead or some other salmon

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
A steal head is a sea run rainbow. No sea, No sea run. Not sure if its a sea run rainbow like the rainbow we have here. Might be a different strain?

[me=Jay] [/me]

·
Registered
283 Posts
years back when we use to go camping on the elk river by steamboat the bows would run and i remember some one telling me they where steel head they where long and there was alot of them. just check around because colorado has many diff speacies of non native fish. like greyling, arctick char, and i think in the north west part of the state we have bull trout.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I was watching a TV show and I think they said they are "genetically identical" to a rainbow.

In any case, they are smart little turds. Watched my old man hook into one at Diversey Harbor in Chicago and it ran right at the pylons holding the rocks, slapped its tail against them and got the line wrapped. Bye bye fish...

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
This is from the NAFC Understanding Freshwater Game Fish, page 106-107:

Rainbow Trout
Varieties: "There are two distinct sub-species of rainbow trout. The red-band rainbow (Oncorhynchus mykiss mykiss) is the typical inland form, developing the charecteristic pinkish stripe that gives the species its name. The coastal rainbow (Oncorhynchus mykiss irideus), is commonly called the "steelhead" because it has a bright, silvery coloration while at sea or inhabiting the open waters of large inland lakes. Red-band raibows, however, also develop the silvery color when stocked in large lakes and are referred to as steelhead as well."

I've noticed that some rainbow, especially from larger lakes like Pueblo and 11-Mile have deeper colors and a more silvery look than the ones I get from little ponds like Pikeview. But for "actual" steelheads in Colorado I'm not sure if we would have any...

·
Registered
640 Posts
There actually are but in Private water. Donaldson Steelhead breeds around and have already caught some this Spring! Fun Fun :-X

·
Registered
516 Posts
If you find any steelhead in Co., they were stocked privately. The DOW did attempt to stock steelhead in at least one location, but did not see much (if any) of a return. Steelhead are genetically the same as rainbow trout, but they go through smoltification, & they migrate in fall & spring from large lakes (or the ocean) up tributaries to spawn. There are several different strains of steelhead (chambers creek, manistee, skamania), just as there are different strains of rainbows. They also fight much harder (in my opinion) than the typical strain of rainbows in Co. The closest thing we do have is the migrating rainbows out of spinney & elevenmile. Been catching quite a few in the Great Lakes area this past year between 5 & 12 lbs., hooked into a couple MUCH larger, but could`nt land them.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Troutdawg said:
There actually are but in Private water. Donaldson Steelhead breeds around and have already caught some this Spring! Fun Fun :-X

Yeah, I caught some of those a couple of weeks ago. Great fighters!

·
Registered
146 Posts
about five years ago I caught a couple steelies in colorado. The blue quill angler actually had some stocked in on of the ponds they manage in evergreen..its a resident only pond for evergreen or bergan park..I paid 25 bucks but all the local fly fisherman and kids that work there or friends of the shop  fish for free.I saw a lot of people there but Im the only one I saw pay any money. I like the blue quill people but  it wasnt fair to be the only one that had to pay . however nice fish up to 7 or 8 pounds.you could see them swimming around.a very profound differance from our rainbows of that size.brilliant metelic red.but I still like blue quill..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To all those that replied thanks I grew up just west of manistee michigan and i know the differnt strains. the thing is Northern Michitgan has the best trout strems in the world and they are all natural. but what i was saying does the DOW stock them anywere. because if KOks can live in 11 mile then the fresh water manistee steelhead that is native to the great lakes could. And if you ever want to fish in michigan contact me and give you some great info. Not to mention I might take a trip home to help you out ;D

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
elevenmilejunkie said:
To all those that replied thanks I grew up just west of manistee michigan and i know the differnt strains. the thing is Northern Michitgan has the best trout strems in the world and they are all natural. but what i was saying does the DOW stock them anywere. because if KOks can live in 11 mile then the fresh water manistee steelhead that is native to the great lakes could. And if you ever want to fish in michigan contact me and give you some great info. Not to mention I might take a trip home to help you out ;D
there are no "native" steelhead in or around the greatlakes they were first introduced from the west coast some 125 years ago they are self sustaining but not native here is a nice article about them

http://www.flymartonline.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=312

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
understand the steelheard not native but the trout are.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yea the brookies are the native stream trout and i think the lakers are native to the lakes the other trout, browns and rainbows, and all the salmons are introduced

here are some good links to great lakes trout

rainbows http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/rainbowtrout.html

lakers http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/laketrout.html

browns http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/browntrout.html

brookies http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/brooktrout.html

i noticed the record for brookies was over 14# and it was caught from a river wow!

a few atlantic salmon used to stay over in lake ontario

Though most Atlantic salmon spawn in fresh water and then spend most of their life in the ocean, some also lived their entire lives in Lake Ontario up until the 1900s. For over 100 years, Canada and the United States tried to establish self-sustaining populations of Atlantic salmon in the upper Great Lakes, but with only minimal success.
http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/atlanticsalmon.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
mogul buster said:
I don't think so .... just Kokanee in Colorado...I visited MI last summer for first time...fishing paradise... I caught fish everywhere i went...and I barely fished a small percent of the waters around me... can't wait to get back.
I dont think we have steelheads! that Iknow of ??? but I know that rainbow trout are in their family so!!?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I caught a 21 inch skamania trout out of monument it’s on my wall

You're talking to someone who hasn't been on the forum for 11 years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts