Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
TFB, Good post, I agree with most of what you say. I fish Crawford Reservoir for pike, and use tip ups,with a small dead perch for bait. The smaller the perch the better. However, i do use a thin black wire leader and it doesn't seem to cause me any problem. I use braided line because the mono freezes up on the ice and tangles badly. Anywy, I hook the perch in the dorsal fin so it sits properly. I cut the stomach out and squeeze the air out so it will sit right. I fish the bait one foot off the bottom as you stated. I also let the fish run and I don'[t get excited and pull the line up right away. Usually the fish will stop running, andI wait again. When it takes back off, then I set the hook. My largest pike so far is 41 1/2", with many over 36". This year is very slow. The drought of a few years ago really devastated the pike. Last year I caught several in the 28-30" range, so I thought this winter would be great. So far its been very slow. Your post is full of good info, thanks.

· Registered
92 Posts
I agree, crawford has a problem. As far as the DOW goes, its always dump more trout in. Crawford needs a better food base. More minnows etc. The lake has no cover whatsoever, and the state wont allow anyone to put any in. Not one brick, nothing. We used to be able to put old Christmas trees out on the ice, but they will not allow that anymore. Its a irrigation water priority res, and you cannot displace any water. The perch and crappy are many, but small. Alot of fishermanf were unhappy when the pike were introduced, but when I talk to people out on the ice, they all want pike, nice perch and crappie. That lake could be a steller fisherie, but everything in it is starving now. I dont have all the answers, but it sure needs help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.