Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
205 Posts
Nice post TFB, I also fish pike year round. I agree with the no steel leader i always do better without them. As we approach late ice be sure to look around spawning bays, these fish will bo staging to spawn. Also don't forget catching them on ice rods is a kick in th a$$. Use large spoons(I prefer spoons that are very thin so they can flutter back down) tipped with sucker meat. My other rod would have a large tube, also tipped with sucker meat. Set the jig around 1 foot off the bottom. Jig the spoon very aggresivly, untill you see a fish (on your electronics, or look down your hole). Then slow down and just move the the spoon. Watch that tube rod this is what they hit most often. These fish will come and go be patient. Eventually they will eat. I cant stress enough how quite you must be if you are in shallow water. These fish will spook. Stay safe and good luck. ;D ;D

· Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
flasher said:
Nice post TFB, I also fish pike year round. I agree with the no steel leader i always do better without them. As we approach late ice be sure to look around spawning bays, these fish will bo staging to spawn. Also don't forget catching them on ice rods is a kick in th a$$. Use large spoons(I prefer spoons that are very thin so they can flutter back down) tipped with sucker meat. My other rod would have a large tube, also tipped with sucker meat. Set the jig around 1 foot off the bottom. Jig the spoon very aggresivly, untill you see a fish (on your electronics, or look down your hole). Then slow down and just move the the spoon. Watch that tube rod this is what they hit most often. These fish will come and go be patient. Eventually they will eat. I cant stress enough how quite you must be if you are in shallow water. These fish will spook. Stay safe and good luck. ;D ;D
I really like this idea...sounds like it would really kick ass!!!!! I'm gonna try it next dec when I come back to CO.

· Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
RonD said:
TFB, Good post, I agree with most of what you say. I fish Crawford Reservoir for pike, and use tip ups,with a small dead perch for bait. The smaller the perch the better. However, i do use a thin black wire leader and it doesn't seem to cause me any problem. I use braided line because the mono freezes up on the ice and tangles badly. Anywy, I hook the perch in the dorsal fin so it sits properly. I cut the stomach out and squeeze the air out so it will sit right. I fish the bait one foot off the bottom as you stated. I also let the fish run and I don'[t get excited and pull the line up right away. Usually the fish will stop running, andI wait again. When it takes back off, then I set the hook. My largest pike so far is 41 1/2", with many over 36". This year is very slow. The drought of a few years ago really devastated the pike. Last year I caught several in the 28-30" range, so I thought this winter would be great. So far its been very slow. Your post is full of good info, thanks.
I think the big problem with crawford is the kill all pike in any water no matter what mentality the DOW has...there are way too many small perch and crappie in there...it makes no sense to remove more predators when you need more.

· Registered
205 Posts
The DOW does this at most lakes in CO. The resaon is they reprocuce like rabbits, they will completly take over a body of water. Also this could be the reason there are a lot of small fish they all get eaten before they can grow to any size. This is why in pike waters the DOW has went to stocking larger trout in late fall. The pike will slow down in winter, and look for easier prey. Dead suckers, waterdogs, large tube jigs.

· Registered
92 Posts
I agree, crawford has a problem. As far as the DOW goes, its always dump more trout in. Crawford needs a better food base. More minnows etc. The lake has no cover whatsoever, and the state wont allow anyone to put any in. Not one brick, nothing. We used to be able to put old Christmas trees out on the ice, but they will not allow that anymore. Its a irrigation water priority res, and you cannot displace any water. The perch and crappy are many, but small. Alot of fishermanf were unhappy when the pike were introduced, but when I talk to people out on the ice, they all want pike, nice perch and crappie. That lake could be a steller fisherie, but everything in it is starving now. I dont have all the answers, but it sure needs help.

· Registered
205 Posts
I have never fished Crawrford, but it does sound as if the "no cover" is a problem. If the lake rises and drops through out the year ( which I bet it does it is an irrigation lake). It will be hard for plant life to take root. Even if you add cover it needs plant life to sustain a baitfish habitat. Take Twin Lakes for instance, It has a good population of lake trout, but they are long and skinny. this is do to no plant life in the lake. The lake has a power plant and the lake is constantly raising and dropping. Plant life needs stable water to take root. The plant life would support the bug life and zooplankton for baitfish to survive. The only real food source for these fish is small lake trout and stocker rainbows. This is not the DOW's fault just a reality we here in Colo. have to face.

· Registered
724 Posts
TFB-Great post.
I would love to see somewhat the same for Spring/Early summer from you as well. I like comparing what others do to what I have done in the past as you have a ton of good points for sure.
I fish for them much more in open water so would look forward to something like that from you.

Thanks,
Rip

· Registered
1,214 Posts
Thanks for this post TFB! I needed a refresher course, remembered reading this years ago, searched and found it. A bunch of new people have joined the forum since then and many would probably benefit much from reading this thread!

Haven't seen a post from you in a while - let us know what's up.

· Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hey guys, my car is in the shop right now but i'm going to be knocking the pike dead up here in MI this year...I've got a lake about 10-15 min from where I live I get really nice eyes and some decent pike out of through the ice, as well as some smb, lmb, catfish, perch, crappie, bluegill, and rock bass. I've got about 1-1.5 years to finish up my dual major up here in my university...

ANYWAY, that was just an update of me. My brother emailed me a picture of a 36" 17 lb pike he caught recently at rifle gap, using these techniques that he and I perfected together over the years. I know this post has been viewed as very useful by many i the past so that's why I decided to bump it. Enjoy guys.

For any info on specific fisheries please pm me.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.