Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been out having fun fishing and brining some newbies into the fold. I know the last thing we need is more people in our areas but all of these guys are 15 and younger.

The Challenge - Get kids who have never spin fished to catch walleye from shore
For those who think they might want to guide take a few teenagers out fishing – it will give you great respect for these guides out there, lol! I’ll bet these two brothers lost $60 + dollars in gear in 5 hours. Rapal, snap – 1st cast, couple of full reels of line used, entire bowl of gulps – gone in an hour, knots, hung up in trees, lost pliers, it was brutal. They and their dad were true champs though – they said they wanted to catch walleye and they wanted to fish for them using the advanced techniques the rest of us use. I told their dad this is going to get expensive and he said he didn’t care, this is part of learning. So we shore scummed it, fished the bottom, and paid – but also got rewarded. They all caught walleye and bass learning/using different techniques. Mad props to _colorado; at one point he was out in his boat going back and forth scanning walleye for us. He would shout, hey, they are over here – cast over here. Now I got em on this side of the point, come over here. He is a standup guy and was a big help in getting these kids into some fish. Of course he had to show off some big wiper and legal eyes of his own and rightfully so. Those kids freaked out when they saw the size of the wiper he had.

I also got to take my kids out a few times over the last month, my boy who is 3 can now catch fish all by himself. My daughter who is 1 can reel while I hold the pole – seems girls get motor skills faster than boys. We have a good place where we get into bass and gills quickly which is the name of the game when attention span is 10 minutes max. Of course playing with worms beats all!

Got into some brutes trying a different area than I usually fish on this lake trying a different technique. Didn’t catch as many but the size made up for it. Of course, I had to make this trip Slayer approved and got into a mess of perch as well – if ya can’t beat em – join em – right!?

I have also been taking the Kayak out again which I love until the wind comes up – that wind blows and sucks, lol!

Found some eyes at A-Town

And got @ 15 before work the other morning with a few black crappie to boot. Off the water by 9 to beat the heat and crowds.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Well done dude! The kids pics show what it's all about. The one where the little ones are checking out the worms is priceless!!!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Great shots of those kiddos! Nice conglomeration of photos too. We'll have to get your kids with my grandkids and go after some gills, bass and eyes with those worms.

[For the record, that big wiper in the boat belonged to my 80 year old friend, Jim, not me. He caught that wiper hopping Gulp on the bottom and there was no way he was ever going to release that fish. He was so pumped. I couldn't deny an 80 year old man a fish like that.]

·
Registered
199 Posts
Damn dude that's a great report. Props for taking out all those kids, it sure isn't easy putting young ones or newbs on fish. I bet the fish gods will place you in high standing for your sacrifice!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts