Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to see some differant perpsectives about how yall go about fishing trout in lakes vs moving water. I'm most particularly interested on how yall fish dries on the top as well as a split/indicator type rig.

·
Registered
16,652 Posts
When fishing dries on lakes,I usually use big humpys and coachmans. 10's thru 12's. I usually just whip 'em out there and let them sit . Maybe twitch a little bit. I tend to fish all my flies really slowly.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The times I have fished stillwater I have used both a stillwater fly line and a floating line.  We normally start off the day by using a parachute adams trailed with a calibaetis dropper and a very slow retrive from shore.  Later in the day we switch to the stillwater line and troll buggers in our float tubes.

G

·
0 Posts
Mostly cast a dry and let it sit if there's any ripple. Don't think it's worth trying if its bright and sunny- generaly paddle and troll a bugger or prince nymph until I hit a fish. Then, just stop or drift and cast and strip.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
On lakes and other bodies of water i usually have the best luck fishing subsurface---either with streamers retrieved at various rates or with nymphs fished at different depths. if fish are rising on a regular basis, i try to match what they are rising to and fish that...either as dries or emergers. sometimes in this situation i fish a dry/dropper combo. one example of this is with callibaetis hatches in early summer---then ill fish an Adams of the appropriate size with a hare's ear or pheasant tail dropper about 12 or 18 inches below. if you absolutely have to fish a dry fly, an elk hair caddis during the summer months is a good all around choice...it floats well and the fish always seem to want to eat them here in colorado. when there is no surface activity ill try to concentrate on areas that have the bottom structure that usually holds fish...usually weed beds or areas with rocks and other cover. in deeper water ill fish a two rig nymph set up under a floating indicator to keep it at the proper depth. this presentation is best done slowly, allowing the flies to just drift along naturally. some people call this technique "bobbing", its fairly effective at places like Spinney or other reservoirs that have deep weedbeds. if that grows old (it can be a rather slow and dull method of fishing) i will fish a floating line and do the cast/strip techinique with weighted nymphs...usually hare's ears or pheasant tails. i vary my strips until i get strikes, usually its about at a medium speed. i find myself fishing this way alot, usually in about 6-8 feet of water. it doest work too well when the water is deep, as the fly usually runs fairly shallow depending on how fast you strip. this method is especially good if you are wading and casting towards deeper water. sometimes though the old method of trolling around with streamers behind a pontoon or float tube works well when nothing else seems to. for this ill usually use a sink tip line and wooley buggers. i like to do this in the middle of the day when the fishing slows down some, its usually good for a few fish when nothing else is working.

my favorite lake fishing technique though is casting streamers....it keeps you busy and can produce some big fish, not to mention you can cover alot of water...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Rottal,
  Any "wollybugger" your favorite (color, size, flash, weighted) for Spinney? I'm just getting started with this stillwater stuff. I'm also looking for float tube reviews. I've heard good things about the "Super Fat Cat"
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have honestly never been a big bugger guy. There are a few buggers that I do like but by and large I'll throw a double bunny, or a zonker before a bugger.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
TaylinLoop said:
Rottal,
Any "wollybugger" your favorite (color, size, flash, weighted) for Spinney? I'm just getting started with this stillwater stuff. I'm also looking for float tube reviews. I've heard good things about the "Super Fat Cat"
Thanks!
Im a plain old black wooley bugger type of guy....tie them with black marabou (in a size 6 or 8) with not too much flash in the tail and a wire wrapped body with black hackle. sometimes i tie a tungsten bead head up front. when i fish for browns in rivers i go a little larger, and sometimes add rubber legs, but for the most part its the same. the action you give it is the key, you want that thing moving along fairly well most of the time--- kind of like a darting baitfish trying to get away from a predator. 8 or 10 inch strips are about my norm, but vary your retrieve speed until you find what they want. I love fishing them, and when you get a fish on it there is usually no mistaking it...they really hit it hard and stop it in its tracks.

Heres a larger pattern i use for early spring runoff browns and also night fishing...it moves plenty of water.

Heres an assortment or streamers i usually fish. my favorite is the one just above my thumb, tied with a tungsten bead. ive caught alot of fish on this type pattern...

And heres a brown....caught on? yup, you guessed it, a black wooley bugger like the ones i described above. this type of water is my favorite, small streams with deep undercuts and large hidden browns. you gotta work for them, but its worth it...

also notice the size of my net...i use a big one on this stream for a reason ;)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Rottal that first one looks good. Tie a mess of those in red and vanilla for the reef and you would be in bussiness. And I just have to say it, any hints on the "big net spot"! ;D ;D

·
Registered
344 Posts
Rottal,
  Thanks for the great shots of your favorite buggers!.....nice brown!

I've always heard that black was the color you start with. I did have some luck last fall with olive when nothing else seemed to work. It was my first experience with stillwater. Tried black, purple, brown then olive........bang!
The browns and the bows both wanted a really slow retrieve with two inch slow strips. I tried every combination of color, weight and strip before I figured it out.  Caught six in row after that! :D I'm hooked on stillwater now!

Still wondering about a float tube. Any suggestions out there?

G

·
0 Posts
I have a couple of float tubes- a caddis and a white river (both U tubes). Keep one in the RV in case I want to fish along the way somewhere. I don't care for them to spend the day in- got bad knees and always worry about the wind. I much prefer to fish out of my 1 man pontoon for extended outings. Gives me options- kick, row or flip the switch on the electric.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
As far as float tubes, look at Cabelas...they have some great "starter" type tubes available for decent prices. my advice is get something with a pointed bow, as the regular round types can be a chore to kick in the wind. I graduated to a pontoon years ago, and i dont think they can compare. you sit higher in the water, can row with oars, and they handle the wind better---not to mention they are easier to get in and out of. a good pontoon will cost you though, so it depends on how much you are willing to spend. whatever you do, get yourself some good fins and an anchor...they help immensely.

Hatchmaster, as far as any "hints" on my "big net" spot, i cant help you...some things are just too sacred to share...but if you get some time off this spring and you are deemed worthy i might take you up there after a vow of secrecy ;)

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Rottal said:
Heres a larger pattern i use for early spring runoff browns and also night fishing...it moves plenty of water.
Hmmm..... interesting pattern..... indicates a long life and good health, with a marriage in your future.... no artistic talent whatsoever....

:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts