Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been asked before. But I am looking for some stillwater fly patterns for the eastern plains of Colorado for trout. I thought I had seen a thread on it here but I did a search for "stillwater fly" but I didn't see it. Does anyone have any suggestions for like the summer time on brush hollow or Lathrop State Park or maybe local CS lakes. Oh and I would be fishing from shore.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
991 Posts
I haven't tried any of the eastern plains lakes, but I'd probably start with a wooly bugger simulating a leach (real slow retrieve) or some kind of a minnow imitator. If you can get near cattails etc, there are some pretty good frog imitations out there. THAT'S pretty fun. The bass will hit that like they would any other top water but you've now got them on a flyrod!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
One of my favorites is the Stillwater nymph. I like to tie them with a peacock body, a black marabou tail and half back, with orange hackle and copper rib. Fish it just under the surface with intermediate line.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, when I get settled in and get my flytying stuff unpacked I will try the stillwater nymph. I have been using wooly buggers for a while but I was looking for something else to add to my arsenal. What about if I was going to do a two fly setup? Like a dry and a dropper?

Thanks
Jim

F

·
0 Posts
Did Brush Hollow about 2 weeks ago. Down by the canal inlet by the dam I got several stocker rainbows, 2 gills and a few small crappie with a small prince nymph being followed by a black wooly WORM (I don't like the bushy buggers but tie a lighter body and hackle and no maribu tail). Nymph about a 14 and the wooly about a 10 or 12. Fishing full sinking line. Several folks on the bank were catching limits of stockers on yellow or green spinners- the ones with the small tear drop body- can't call the name of them.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
panthers maybe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts