Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I went out to Barbour Ponds the other day and went to our normal spot on the second lake. This spot also happens to be where they stock fish. We noticed at increase in surface action and saw tire tracks where a truck almost got stuck. I told my wife, "Hey, they must have stocked trout in here!" She baited up her two poles, three hooks with power bait and one with worms. I fished for carp as usual. As soon as her first pole hit the water she had a bite. This turned out to be story through out the day because she kept getting good bites but couldn't catch them. We tried different hooks, different baits, bobbers. No luck. So we left. We went out this morning and the same thing again. Tons of bites. Tom, the park ranger out there, stopped by to talk to us and come to find out that the lake was stocked but not with trout. Instead it was stocked with 6-8 inch crappie, 6-8 inch bass, and 6-8 inch perch. Perch have not been in these lakes since 1982, when they were put there for the northern pike, which are no longer there. Tom said pike may be re-intrduced to the big lake (Pelican Pond) next year. It looks like they (CSP) is taking these ponds seriously again.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ill be blown away if dow allows pike in there most likely it might get some tigers we shall see

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pike did really well in there in the late '70's and early'80's. My dad and me used to catch then on the north side of the big lakes while fishing for bass. Now, this lake was only known for fishing by locals back then and never saw the fishing pressure it has today. But the pike never became overstocked. They would only release 15 in the spring and 15 in the fall. They couldn't have reproduced (my theory) because there were never huge amounts of them. There were never any pike smaller than the division stocked. Most ran 10 to 20 pounds. But as pressure picked up, fish species including the bass began to drop and by 1985 the pike were gone. By 1987 the walleye were gone. Bullheads also disappeared around this time. Bass bearly exist there today. I think they are making the right choice by bringing focus on the warmwater aspect of this lake and taking it off the coldwater, which it has been the last several years with all the trout stocking they have been doing.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
sure they were pike might have been tigers many of the lakes that hold pike were originaly "stocked" buy bucket bioloigist 1/2 dozen males and feamle would have a good shot at reproducing. the dow has been stocking tigers since atleast the late 70's

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah, They were northerns. Had the dark vertical markings that were really green.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
catmann29 said:
Nah, They were northerns.  Had the dark vertical markings that were really green.
like this
this is muskie

here is a pike

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope. Pike. I grew up on a fish hatchery that raised them. Also, at the same time there were lots of pike out at Banner Lakes. If you can help me figure out how to scan photos and post them I'll show you the picture of the 20 lb pike my dad caught at Barbour Ponds in 1979.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
what do you mean by vertical bars i thought the vertical bars were from the muskie side

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are. I was thinking about tiger muskies when I descibed them. But they were pike. I wish I knew how to get a scanned picture on this website. I'm pretty computer illiterate.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
catman check your pm ill help ya out

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
catmann29 said:
They are. I was thinking about tiger muskies when I descibed them. But they were pike. I wish I knew how to get a scanned picture on this website. I'm pretty computer illiterate.
You can email me the pictures at [email protected] and I will post them for you.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ePIC, I emailed you the picture. Try to get it posted for me and I'll hook you up with some catfish bait.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
looks like a pike but maybe a little skinney thanks for the pic

1 - 14 of 14 Posts