Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't do a search for this so excuse my laziness if it's an old subject. After replying to another thread, a memory got me to thinking.

What vertebrates, other than fish, have you have "hooked" on a fly?

Mine....
1) Muskrats............................................North Delaney
2) Pelican at night...................................North Delaney
3) Duck.................................................Prospect Ponds
4) Bats, bats, and more bats....................Name the river.lol
5) Cliff swallows and more cliff swallows....Gunnison River
6) Snapping turtle..................................Riverbend Ponds
7) Water Moccasin..................................Intentional...my folk's lake, TX.

:redface: My ear, fingers, arm, neck, and that horrible spot right on your shoulder
blade you just can't seem to reach :redface:.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Note to everyone lol dont fish anywhere near slabseeker! You and Neal need to redo the drinking scene where Quint and Hooper compare scars...

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Well not on a fly, but:

Muskrat-Steamboat.
Seagull=Lake John, 11-mile, Miracle mile.
Duck=Lake John.
Raccoon=Alcova.

Many frogs.

The cat and the dog but they actually hooked themselves-

Oh yeah and a pelican in Cabo.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I can't recall locations for some

Cat on fly rod @ home

Dog on fly rod @ Cheesman

Water Ouzel on fly rod @ Cheesman

Duck...spin gear

Goose... spin gear

Best Friend at age 12....wooden stick and 20 lb test line

My finger on fly rod...Clear Creek

The cat put up the best fight :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Well, if we're limited to vertebrates I've hooked:

Swallows
Bullfrogs
Myself
My dog
The guy rowing the drift boat...oops

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have to hear more about this pelican at night, did you cut the line or what? Your drag had to be singing. I don't have too many encounters with other animals. Only thing I can think of is a falcon that came out of nowhere and smacked my lunker punker.......really glad he didn't hook up, no way am I cutting the line and losing a bait like that.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to hear more about this pelican at night, did you cut the line or what? Your drag had to be singing. I don't have too many encounters with other animals. Only thing I can think of is a falcon that came out of nowhere and smacked my lunker punker.......really glad he didn't hook up, no way am I cutting the line and losing a bait like that.
Not much of a story. In my belly boat on the Northwest corner of the lake. Near midnight and as I made a turn I saw some Pelicans in my light. Shortly after losing sight of them I heard commotion in the water and for a split second thought I had a good brown. Then reality quickly took hold as I realized I snagged a very large bird. Fight? That requires two sides. This was just a bird going wherever it was going. I just stopped the reel and pointed the rod at the line and snap. I felt bad bad for about .5 seconds then tied on another streamer.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Note to everyone lol dont fish anywhere near slabseeker! You and Neal need to redo the drinking scene where Quint and Hooper compare scars...
Never have hooked a fellow fisherman, guide, or a bystander. When you chuck big heavy streamers in the wind, ducking becomes part of the cast.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Just a duck with spin gear, but I took it out of the air. Do I get extra points for that?

Local tree huggers almost hung me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Seagull, fly lining a live anchovies on 25 lbs. test. Was during an algae bloom, so birds couldn't find food and just harassed the hell out of us that day. Best way to stop the fight with them was to open the bail, let them start flying, then snap the bail closed, knocking them out of the air, then reel them in.

Was a good Calico day too.

·
Registered
592 Posts
^I think I remember that day...good day

·
Registered
273 Posts
- ex-wife in the leg when we were dating (should've used a larger barbed hook)
- Swallow on the Frying Pan
- frog on an adams (intentional)
- garter snake on and adams
- myself in my back tossing heavily weighted flies at Kings in Alaska (it was barbed..ouch) zillion miles from medical care
- cat with hookless fly (they take every time)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts