Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys,

Would love to learn how to fly fishing using streamers, I'm so naive and clueless when it comes to it I tied a woolly bugger to my 5x tapered leader and it was funky trying to cast and simply didn't work. Would you guys have any suggestions on what I need to do starting from the colored fly line and past? Would love to know what you guys have for some of your setups.

Any books or videos you can suggest would be awesome. I want to learn fly fishing this style. :)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Shorter/thicker leader helps!

7 - 7 1/2 foot leader, nothing smaller than maybe 3x. I always just cut back an older leader that I have gotten maximum use from nymphing or dry fly fishing.

You're looking for reaction strikes, so 3x is plenty small. Most of the time I am running 1x to the first streamer, and 2x to the second, if I am throwing a double streamer rig.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shorter/thicker leader helps!

7 - 7 1/2 foot leader, nothing smaller than maybe 3x. I always just cut back an older leader that I have gotten maximum use from nymphing or dry fly fishing.

You're looking for reaction strikes, so 3x is plenty small. Most of the time I am running 1x to the first streamer, and 2x to the second, if I am throwing a double streamer rig.
This is great info! I never even thought of double rigged streamers, definitely something I want to try once I get the gist of using even one haha.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I did the majority of my fly fishing in Colorado last year using streamers .

A shorter leader helps , personally for me a 7 1/2 4x cast pretty well.

I used mainly Woolley Buggers in 10 and 12 sizes , some with bead heads to sink faster.

All this was on lakes.

From a boat, laying out line with my 4 weight worked adequately, but I invested in a 6 weight and for sessions where I was doing lots of casting , the 6 weight made life a LOT easier.

I’ll probably do more of the same this summer, plus I want to try Clousers for white bass and wiper.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
I’ll probably do more of the same this summer, plus I want to try Clousers for white bass and wiper.
Clousers are awesome! I have not fished for wipers yet with my flyrod, but I can put you on some White Bass using that technique if you want to send me a pm. Bite should be good here soon. Looking at my pics from last year I started catching them around March 23rd. Bite stayed good all the way through mid May.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the majority of my fly fishing in Colorado last year using streamers .

A shorter leader helps , personally for me a 7 1/2 4x cast pretty well.

I used mainly Woolley Buggers in 10 and 12 sizes , some with bead heads to sink faster.

All this was on lakes.

From a boat, laying out line with my 4 weight worked adequately, but I invested in a 6 weight and for sessions where I was doing lots of casting , the 6 weight made life a LOT easier.

My 2 cents.

Will be fishing the Jackson inlet from Private Property so will have a chance to catch hundreds of wipers without others next to me, this is where I want to take the opportunity to see if i can catch some on a streamer, it's coming up in 10 days.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Will be fishing the Jackson inlet from Private Property so will have a chance to catch hundreds of wipers without others next to me, this is where I want to take the opportunity to see if i can catch some on a streamer, it's coming up in 10 days.

Sounds great !

·
Registered
256 Posts
wouldn't want to disrespect the fly fisherman since i am one too lol.
Well I am a fly fisherman, and I don't feel disrespected by Jerkbait fisherman. Especially if they clip their barbs in C and R areas. If someone is going to be that much of a fishing snob they can go suck a ****.

People get so snooty about fishing. Relax people... as long as you are making an effort to take care of the natural resources in this state, and follow regulations, fish how you want.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Fly vs spinning :

Things like this always devolve into which is a superior method, when in reality the answer is neither.

At various times, various conditions, one or the other may be the superior fish catching method .

I also don’t see one as a more superior
“ sporting “ method either.

Use what you like or be versatile and able to switch up methods for productivity .

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fly vs spinning :

Things like this always devolve into which is a superior method, when in reality the answer is neither.

At various times, various conditions, one or the other may be the superior fish catching method .

I also don’t see one as a more superior
“ sporting “ method either.

Use what you like or be versatile and able to switch up methods for productivity .

Well said! in my case fly fishing rivers has always proven to be the best method if you're looking to land fish. Now different styles can contribute to better size fish I assume.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I throw alot of bulky-weighted flys in the salt and overlining your rod will make a huge difference... Say using an 8 wt go to a 9or10 wt double taper line and 20-16-8 lb to the tippet in 3ft lengths.

In Colo. with a 6 wt try a 7-8wt line with the leader tapered down. Don't really like the store bought leaders. I almost always fish with 2 flys whether nymphs,drys or streamers with beadhead 1st and trail the unweighted.. Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts