Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to get a half dozen or so out next to the river but we went to the vet in the end. They pulled 29 out and he had gotten a few out as well on the 2 hour drive home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Poor pup...

Hopefully he'll remember for the next encounter.

Nice lookin bow!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Had a little black lab mix that tangled with a porcupine. Quills all over and in her mouth. She was a champ and let me pull them out. Took her to the vet for a thorough check and she was okay. Next time out on a hike, darned if she didn't attack another porcupine with same results. Back to the vet for harder to reach quills. Two times was enough for her as she gave them a wide berth after that.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
When my Weim found a porcupine the vet told me one of two things would happen. Either she would learn to stay away from them or learn to hate them and try a different tactic , usually more aggressive.

I don't think she ever found another as her temperament was not one to back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I peed on a porcupine that was under a fir tree... He was not amused.

Hope he heals up quick and learned his lesson.

·
Registered
241 Posts
When my Weim found a porcupine the vet told me one of two things would happen. Either she would learn to stay away from them or learn to hate them and try a different tactic , usually more aggressive.

I don't think she ever found another as her temperament was not one to back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The latter was my experience with my lab and skunks. She left them alone until she got sprayed in the barn one day. After that it was game on; death to all skunks and she made darn sure of it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I had to same happen to my GSP this fall. I never saw it or heard her yelp or anything. She was just sprinting back and forth still looking for grouse with nearly 3 dozen quills in her nose. I pulled them out and nothing ever came of it. I'd be surprised if she does it again though. Pulling them out wasn't a good experience for either of us.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts