Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a new dashboard fly holder before work from a foam brain I found floating on the poudre in town. I don't wanna be at work. I would rather be throwing streamers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I know what you mean!!

Wish I was fishing instead of working...

Got this one last week on one of my rare outings this year.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I worked a six day week over labor day weekend... I work for the Dutch. Then monday was my birthday. Starting a new schedule sept 11. 12 hour days. sun mon tues off and every other weds. Its gonna be a great fall!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Nice bugz! lol Way to put the trash to use. You have all of October and November to throw streamers to inner city browns so don't fret....Work does suck though.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
even right now i gots streamers on da brain..

next pic is the one that got deleted by photodump

·
Registered
342 Posts
Made a new dashboard fly holder before work from a foam brain I found floating on the poudre in town. I don't wanna be at work. I would rather be throwing streamers.
Looks like not many people come to the fly fishing section any more. I love streamers. Had a day on the mile last September where I slammed into a half dozen fatsos that burned my fingers. Come on warm weather!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yep I been looking for some new patterns to tie. Had a lot of success the past few years with Kelly Galloup's articulated patterns: Boogie Man, Sex Dungeon, Barely Legal on the upper Colorado. Another guy to look out for is Chris Krueger, runs an instagram feed called Rocky Mountain Fly Design. He's been at the FF Expos the last few years, really nice guy and his streamer patterns are awesome. Shout out to Chris!

Another one I'm buying materials to buy is the Sparkle Minnow, and some smaller patterns to accompany the monster articulated ties.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Dirty Hippies, Mini Dungeons and Mini Gonga have been the best producers for me this past year.

Their sizes still seem effective for moving fish and they can be chucked with a 5 weight easier than the full size versions.

We should do a streamer swap this year.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Only took about 40 years for the articulated tying to really take off. Dave Whitlock, I believe, had one of the first with a hinged damsel published in the 70's(?). Early 80's I was watching guys tie articulated streamers at shops. Surprising it took so long for these streamers to catch on.

With the addition of a second hook and more material, tying to shed water on these flies becomes the challenge; or one just avoids casting and lobs the fly.

The intruder offers a pulsating action with less material, making for a water shedding fly with greater "castability". Add a cone head and the fly plummets to the bottom. Add a couple of trailing saddle hackles and the action can become more intense in slower or still water. A go to streamer when the hits seem instinctive and fall short of an all out attack as that trailing hook is deadly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Slabseeker that pattern looks more desireable to tie than what shows on the web! Is it a variant of the original pattern?

Also I've been tieing alit lately all streamers as I can't see to tie anything smaller than a 14 fly or onto my line! So I'm thinking the easy route is tie and fish big bugs instead of going to eye dr.$$$$$

1 - 10 of 10 Posts