Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I was wondering what all your thoughts were on the advantage of fly fishing streamers over using jerkbaits with a spinning rod? I fly fish quite a bit with nymphs and dries but when I want to throw the meat, I go back to my crutch of rapalas with a spinning rod (the Iowa boy coming out in me). I know it's more of a confidence thing for me as I don't have that much confidence in me throwing a streamer but I feel I can cover more water faster with a spinning rod and it is much easier. Granted I am not the most proficient at casting streamers. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I learned this week at ISE that there is soo much more to streamers than just a simple strip to bring them back in. I think most folks just don't practice one or the other enough to be able to understand the different situations that would produce more fish on one rather than the other.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
While fishing out of a boat you can repeatedly put a streamer on the bank much faster than you can with a spinning rod. A lot of the best streamer fishing takes place within a 1' or 2' of the bank. Keep the boat 15'-20' off the bank and you can hit every rock, riffle, and undercut with out having to reel all they way back to the rod each time.

Most any other time the plug takes the cake. No need for lots of room behind you, much easier in the wind, and as you said you can cover ground a lot faster.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Its been argued many times or debated. There are quit a few guys that do really well throwing streamers i'm sure they will chime in.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
This topic was discussed at great length this weekend between myself and Silent_Light. ;D By the way SL, thanks for buying so much stuff in the booth >:D

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Well, streamers do not come equipped with two or three treble hooks. If you fish C&R trout water, treble hooks are simply irresponsible. There are fish better able to withstand the physical trauma of trebles, bass or pike being obvious examples.

One little thing about singles; they actually have a better hook-to-land ratio than trebles. Anyone who has put in good time with a crankbait and a jig will tell you that point blank.

Both streamers and jerks will catch better than average trout. If you would like a spinning rod alternative that I for one feel is as effective if not MORE effective than either, try a marabou or rabbit fur jig, or a soft plastic jerk like a Lunker City Slug-go or Zoom original Fluke on a light-wire darter head (secured in place with a drop of superglue)

I can tell you these things flat stomp fish... all species.

·
Registered
81 Posts
"When do you use bright colors and when do you use natural colors? what patterns should I look at tying?"
--------------------------
I always refer to this book listed below for a good idea on when to fish certain colors in certain conditions. Its a good start. Fishing streamers is always hit or miss, even more so in the winter.

Book: What Fish See: Understanding Optics and Color Shifts for Designing Lures and Flies

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
According to one of the top streamer fishermen, he will change colors 5 or 6 times in 25 minutes of fishing streamers....

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
sorry I missed this one, simply said NOTHING HITS THE WATER LIKE A FLY, AND NOTHING MOVES IN THE WATER LIKE A FLY

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Fish a streamer with a floating spun head (like a muddler) on a sinking line or with some weight in front of it. You can control the depth at which it will "suspend" by the length of your leader or by how far you put the weight from the fly. With good head, you get just as much action out of it as a jerkbait, if not more as the marabou or whatever else ripples behind the head. This is killer KILLER for smallies in moving water.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I know that I get more action than any piece of plastic. First try differant ways off wieghting them. There are time when you will fish un-wieghted, there are time for mid- wieght, and my favorite mega wieght, combo of tungsten w/ chit tons of lead-free lead wire. Jiggin is jiggin ya know

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Haha! Streamers getting more action than jerkbaits..... You may get marabou to sway and move very lifelike under water, even find ways to sink floating flies trying to mimic a suspend, but you will never get the audio signature created by jerkbaits, especially those made of hard plastic with lead bb's rattling in them.

I think that is one of the biggest differences in a majority of fly fishing to conventional. With the exception of minor water displacement, fly fishing is sight imitation only. A lot of conventional methods play on not only sight, but even better, the lateral line.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
We don't sink floating lines..on purpose...generally... ;D
You're absolutely right on the rattles; it's very hard to get hair to rattle. But you can get some of the same action of a hard plastic jerkbait (shimmy, side-to-side, walk the dog, etc) out of streamers if you know what you're doing. I've also used flies with worm rattles tied in, but it really didn't do it for me.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Fish lip --- sound is not at all hard to create in a fly, a drinking straw,rattles,magic head, hum spun deer hair........
So believe whatever you like, but a good tier can pretty do any thing we see fit for our desires
Thanks for the spinning the spoon

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
As someone with a bit of experience with both, (actually vastly more with what you guys are mistakenly calling "conventional" gear) I can categorically state that "noisy" baits are much overplayed, and work best on naive fish.

In remote water, they are a ringing bell that causes curious fish to investigate. In pressured water, they are a glaring siren that screams "danger!" to experienced fish.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts