Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Curse you and Bugz, FortCollinsCatcher..

You guys are making me reconsider my mooching ways and start rolling my own.

GRR!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Curse you and Bugz, FortCollinsCatcher..

You guys are making me reconsider my mooching ways and start rolling my own.

GRR!
If I were your financial advisor I would tell you to keep mooching! Anyone that tells you they are saving money by rolling their own is only tying SJW and thread midges!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Caty Alewife

Made with hair from our three legged longhaired ball of anxiety....

Yeah it definitely depends on the fly and what your time is worth..

For example if you wanted Jay Zimmermans Geezus Lizard id runs like $6 each. Materials are cheap but it looks like a PITA to tie!

Midges, buggers, hairs ears etc way worth rolling your own

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice Bugz! I suppose you could definitely be saving money if your material source was your family pet! After looking at yours I need to clean mine up a bit by dubbing the point in between the eyes/hook eye.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Nice Bugz! I suppose you could definitely be saving money if your material source was your family pet! After looking at yours I need to clean mine up a bit by dubbing the point in between the eyes/hook eye.
Are you familiar with a dubbing loop? that is how i did the white part of the body and the wraps around the eyes. Real easy technique to learn. You can also make furled dubbing loop tails for leaches/worms and baitfish patterns. There are some good vids on it on you tube.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I use the loop a lot with the simi seal material, those are still one of my favorite leech patterns. Ridiculously easy one material tie and effective, especially with the warm water species.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
While the carpet in my fly tying room is still wet from the basement flooding I could not resist playing with some new fly tying stuff I bought. I got a pack of #2 and #10 trailer hitch articulated streamer hooks and some clear cure goo. So I turned off the fans for a bit and came up with these. I think the longhaired cat is going to look kinda funny once the carpet dries!>:D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man, I have a feeling those things are going to kill it! I have never used the trailer hitch style for my articulated streamers- when you use those does the "hitch" go in front so you have a stinger hook or vise versa?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
it has a straight eye streamer hook in back and attaches to a straight piece of wire with a hook and loop in the back. Pretty quick and easy to use. You don't have the double hook to deal with or foul on. I also have some 50lb mono that i have used for articulated streamers, but I think these might hold up better to pike. I suppose I could also use my toothy critter wire though. It might be the best use for that stuff.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yeah and that pic was taken after his morning anti anxiety meds!! It's tough being a three legged cat... lol

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it has a straight eye streamer hook in back and attaches to a straight piece of wire with a hook and loop in the back. Pretty quick and easy to use. You don't have the double hook to deal with or foul on. I also have some 50lb mono that i have used for articulated streamers, but I think these might hold up better to pike. I suppose I could also use my toothy critter wire though. It might be the best use for that stuff.
The back hook fouling on the front has been problematic on a few of those articulated ties. I've been toying around with securing the trailer hook both high and low on the bend of the front hook to see what gives me the best results.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts