Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Now you know my game, I just hang out here looking for junkies to buy my product. There is one lowlife on this mforum that even buys black market jigs from me. :cool2: And I am starting to build some clientele..:hat:
I figured you were just hustlin' this forum! Here's another one for the junkies.

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
This is my first attempt at (Charlie Craven's version of) The Sex Dungeon. I like the addition of the rabbit zonker strip on the top of the fly compared to the original, I think it looks better but its all preference. I use these all the time and it pains me to pay $8 each time I lose one. Now I only had to pay $90 in materials to build them - some solid cost-savings analysis! :rolleyes:

The spun deer hair head on this kind of sucks but for a first attempt it seems like it will work. Plenty of time to practice. Anyways, can you tell which one is mine and which one is store bought crap made in China?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
First spun deer hair head and you did it around dumbell eyes? Nicely done! Spinning hair is alot of fun, but most of mine are a mess.
I recently covered my fly tyiing area ith a piece of felt, which keeps all those stray bits of feather, dub and thread from going every where in the room and you can brush them all up with a tooth brush. Exept when you spin hair, that stuff permanently becomes one with the felt.

·
Registered
541 Posts
First spun deer hair head and you did it around dumbell eyes? Nicely done! Spinning hair is alot of fun, but most of mine are a mess.
I should note I've attempted a few flies with spun hair before in a tying class... But they were awful.

I shot the sh;t with Charlie the other week while I was buying this stuff and he had some nice pointers about it. His store is so freakin sweet, loaded with tying materials/supplies. He said it's all about the super high-test thread you use to spin the hair. He ties most of the fly with normal 6/0 black thread to keep the bulk down and then uses natural color 280 Denier thread (the HEAVY stuff) to really crank on it and get it to spin. It's slippery too and helps with the sliding of the hair on the hook shank.

His tutorials online are awesome though for whoever is interested in his flies, that one included.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yeah that looks sweet! I just fished that black rabbit strip streamer yesterday and it epitomized chuck n duck with my 5 wt. Had some pretty good movement in the water when stripped quickly but dropped like a stone otherwise. Given the movement from the rabbit and the way it dropped I think it will hammer bass when fished like a Texas rigged worm.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Few years ago I made a huge change and began tying articulated streamers heavy, I mean heavy. These contain large tungsten hourglass eyes plus a wrap(or two) of .03, two stainless saltwater hooks, beads, intruder wire....I have even added a Pyrex rattle this year. Lol. I use as much natural material as possible to "hold onto water". I can bounce them down any run or scour the depths of pools for those large daytime sensitive Browns. Problem is you cast them like hardware or throw them like a baseball but getting them to the bottom is not a problem. Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Did someone mention rabbit strip? These are easy peasy one material streamers for bass/pike. OK, an eye...two material, but not necessary.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Those are some good looking streamers. And you're right- throwing em for warmwater species is cool but using them effectively in the rivers is a whole different story. Been streamer fishing for a while now and still feel like a noob on the rivers. I am in awe of really good streamer fishermen. You can definitely save money tying versus buying if you keep it simple. Not only that, catching on your own stuff is just the bees knees. But, you cannot save money tying versus mooching haha. Mooching is hard to beat.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thing is sweet, what would you be throwing that at? Pike/Bass? I'm sure an angry brown would take a swipe at it this fall.

I am looking forward to getting on the vice again, like most people I find it difficult to sit down in the summer months and crank out some patterns or keep up on my practicing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thing is sweet, what would you be throwing that at? Pike/Bass? I'm sure an angry brown would take a swipe at it this fall.

I am looking forward to getting on the vice again, like most people I find it difficult to sit down in the summer months and crank out some patterns or keep up on my practicing.
I had pike in mind when I tied that. Like you, I haven't tied much since Spring.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
A couple of simple ties that have earned a permanent place in my boxes.

The white/tan streamer: I have been throwing these in a variety of sizes in warm water ponds this year. Every time it catches something. Sunfish, crappie, bass can't seem to leave it alone. It is tied with a blend of tan wool and pearl ice dub. With or without the bead. It always rides hook up. I have done the body in pearl mylar. But this one is dubbed with claret ice dub and pearl ice dub. It looks translucent in the water with just a hint of flash.

Marabou streamer: wing feather for a tail. maybe some red marabou fibers to dress it up. Mylar body and a wing of marabou. The pic is of a N Platte special color combo. But I tie it in white/pink/olive with a red tail as well. I have been tying and fishing this for several years.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Cool little rainbow. The upper C was loaded with little bows last sat 2-3"ers. We caught about 30 fish and at least 12 where bows.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The FF Show last weekend got me inspired again.

Been back at it at the vice. There were some great tyers there showing off some really cool streamer patterns and different materials they use and how to use them. Made some adaptations of my own, borrowing a few of their ideas, a few ideas from tried and true patterns, etc. Came up with these, I plan to tie similar flies in olive and black. I think they'll do pretty well around here....

21 - 40 of 51 Posts