Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fly fishing since I was in college almost 25 years ago. Not so far in the distant past, I grew tired of watching a strike indicator float past me for hours on end. I have always thrown dries when a good hatch is going on and even tied on stimulators, terrestrials and anything else to occupy my time when I get bored. My question is, what about streamers? I have spent entire days on the river with them and have had decent success (bigger fish on average), but wanted to see how everyone fishes them. I have even had a fantastic day on the White when I went against normal thoughts and threw a white clouser all day long. I am not asking what streamers to use per se, but what techniques do you all use. I have watched Gallup's how to vids and many others online, but feel like that is not the end all be all. Anyones thoughts on the subject? Dead drift, strip fast down current, angle through holes, and cast down stream and strip back to you? Not all the options and hope to hear more with success stories.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I like a slumpbuster and use just about all the techniques in one cast. First cast it upstream for a deaddrift then let it swing and go down and across then strip it back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cast cross current, mend up stream, small mend downstream then strip. Seems to bring the fly perpendicular to the fish. Just returned from a trip to the San Juan river in NM. Used this method almost exclusively with great results. By the way, I was using a size 16, white bodied, black hackle/tail bugger.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cast cross current, mend up stream, small mend downstream then strip. Seems to bring the fly perpendicular to the fish. Just returned from a trip to the San Juan river in NM. Used this method almost exclusively with great results. By the way, I was using a size 16, white bodied, black hackle/tail bugger.
Thanks for the tip BC, I will have to try that. A size 16 seems pretty small to me but it sounds like it worked for you. I was out on the Poudre last night messing around and caught a few fish. Pitching a thin mint up against the opposite bank and throwing a big mend down stream. This seemed to allow me to dead drift or lightly strip it and keep the fly in the lane between the bank and the main current for a longer period of time. I am just trying new stuff to see what all works.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Thanks for the tip BC, I will have to try that. A size 16 seems pretty small to me but it sounds like it worked for you. I was out on the Poudre last night messing around and caught a few fish. Pitching a thin mint up against the opposite bank and throwing a big mend down stream. This seemed to allow me to dead drift or lightly strip it and keep the fly in the lane between the bank and the main current for a longer period of time. I am just trying new stuff to see what all works.
that there is the ticket

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
when were you there? We were there the weekend before last. Lots of great fish during the trip! kinda the same method.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Different waters fish differently. I used to throw streamers more than I do now, but have recently had the desire to get back into it. Sometimes its slow retrieves, or a little bit of movement added to the swing. Other times it seems like you cant strip it fast enough. I‘ve even had to do the cast, put the rod in your armpit and strip with both hands to get a strike.
This past weekend I was fishing some saltwater bays and a “strip, strip, strip, pause, strip, pause” pattern was what produced for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Size 16 buggers are quite versatile. Just for giggles, when you get tired of chucking and stripping, lube it up and fish it dry. Saves time and sometimes works.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I like the Size 16 posts - Micro Buggers, or Micro Streamers are one of my favorite High Lake patterns and small stream patterns.

As for technique on streamers, the one described by throwing it across, with a downstream mend is pretty classic swing technique. As you do that, try to get it to swing broadside through the currents. As it is directly below you - resist the urge to just pick it up. Instead, raise the rod tip to make it come up in the current. Drop it, then strip back giving side to side mends.

Also, make sure you work that technique by gradually increasing the length of your casts. Once you have worked to your furthest point, take a few steps downstream, and repeat.

In fast seams, Cast up and across. Give a big Upstream Mend (in the air) to keep it come directly across the stream. Strip fast.

Slow holes, I like to throw upstream, let it sink, and then creep it back. Typically like patterns that pulsate (like Tangler said) in these situations, like a crawdad

The Bugger/ Worm or Egg combo (about 18 to 24" of tippet between them). Mostly like this when fishing tailwaters and you can sight fish to stacked fish. Throw upstream above the fish, as the streamer gets close, small twitches and strips. Fish eats or doesnt. Then, holding the rod high, let the pig sticker or egg or worm drift naturally.

Working downriver, or drifting. Throw slightly downstream angling your arm during the cast to give a straigth line to the fly. Keep tension. As soon as it hits the spot you are casting to, give it a big strip, pause, then strip hard. You want it to smack. I like this with a sink tip when Im in a boat, but walking you can do with a really long leader and weight

In lakes, a slow retrieve with a hand Twist instead of a strip. (if you dont know what a hand twist is, it is exactly what it sounds like. You are basically twisting the ine around your hand Pinky to Thumb making the fly move slowly rising and falling)

And finally, get a spinning Rod and some Rapalas or Dynamic Lures. Tons of fun there.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
As for technique on streamers, the one described by throwing it across, with a downstream mend is pretty classic swing technique. As you do that, try to get it to swing broadside through the currents. As it is directly below you - resist the urge to just pick it up. Instead, raise the rod tip to make it come up in the current. Drop it, then strip back giving side to side mends.
I like the side to side mend idea... I shall adopt that.

Until last year I had never caught a trout while stripping upstream from directly below myself, even though I had employed this sort of tactic many, many a time.

I let it swing allllll the way down, let it settle... striiiiip-striiiiiip-THUMP! I couldn't believe it had happened because I had been covering the water pretty thoroughly for a while without even a sniff. She was sitting pretty shallow too - not anywhere near "the run".

Attachments

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Put them on with a bubble on a spinning rod where they belong. :tongue:

Fish flies with fly rod.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Bubble and spinning rod...haha...that's funny!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also us a slight variation to my last post. Cast slightly up stream from your intended target area. Once the fly settles, deliver several stack mends (as many as the current speed allows) directly on top of your fly, mend up stream, mend down stream, then start your retrieve. The direct downward pressure from the stack mends drive your fly deep into the water column. This allows you to fish your fly deeper without adding additional weight. This techniques is especially effective in deeper slow moving pools.

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
I like the side to side mend idea... I shall adopt that.

Until last year I had never caught a trout while stripping upstream from directly below myself, even though I had employed this sort of tactic many, many a time.

I let it swing allllll the way down, let it settle... striiiiip-striiiiiip-THUMP! I couldn't believe it had happened because I had been covering the water pretty thoroughly for a while without even a sniff. She was sitting pretty shallow too - not anywhere near "the run".
It was the fly, not the technique!! 8)

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Rivers? Mostly the same...cast up, mend, strip. Point your body to where you plan your stripping retrieve, keep the rod tip low. If i am fishng an undercut bank ill position myself to try to get the fly to run as close to (or under) the bank...sometimes this requires me to cast downstream from well above the run i intend to fish to let the fly to parallel the undercut. Each run is different and should be approached in a manner that best suits the stretch....remember, most of time you only get a handful of shots before you spook the fish and have to move on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts