Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fly fishing since I was in college almost 25 years ago. Not so far in the distant past, I grew tired of watching a strike indicator float past me for hours on end. I have always thrown dries when a good hatch is going on and even tied on stimulators, terrestrials and anything else to occupy my time when I get bored. My question is, what about streamers? I have spent entire days on the river with them and have had decent success (bigger fish on average), but wanted to see how everyone fishes them. I have even had a fantastic day on the White when I went against normal thoughts and threw a white clouser all day long. I am not asking what streamers to use per se, but what techniques do you all use. I have watched Gallup's how to vids and many others online, but feel like that is not the end all be all. Anyones thoughts on the subject? Dead drift, strip fast down current, angle through holes, and cast down stream and strip back to you? Not all the options and hope to hear more with success stories.

· Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cast cross current, mend up stream, small mend downstream then strip. Seems to bring the fly perpendicular to the fish. Just returned from a trip to the San Juan river in NM. Used this method almost exclusively with great results. By the way, I was using a size 16, white bodied, black hackle/tail bugger.
Thanks for the tip BC, I will have to try that. A size 16 seems pretty small to me but it sounds like it worked for you. I was out on the Poudre last night messing around and caught a few fish. Pitching a thin mint up against the opposite bank and throwing a big mend down stream. This seemed to allow me to dead drift or lightly strip it and keep the fly in the lane between the bank and the main current for a longer period of time. I am just trying new stuff to see what all works.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.