Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering how important they are saw a few on a friends pole and he says they work but catches without them any other comments?

·
Registered
509 Posts
They help for deadsticking and when they bite very lightly.
I don't like the indicators that go on the pole, they get in my way.
I think it was Bernie who taught me to use a small round bobber as an indicator.
Once you are at the depth you want with your jig, make a loop in your line at the water level. Then push up on the metal catch on the top side of the bobber and tuck in your loop and then let the tension on the bobber keep the loop in place. You want to make sure that when you set this up your loop slips out of the bobber and releases it so you aren't dealing with a bobber on your line when you're bringing in your catch.
I hope this makes sense. It's worked great for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ice fisher said:
They help for deadsticking and when they bite very lightly.
I don't like the indicators that go on the pole, they get in my way.
I think it was Bernie who taught me to use a small round bobber as an indicator.
Once you are at the depth you want with your jig, make a loop in your line at the water level. Then push up on the metal catch on the top side of the bobber and tuck in your loop and then let the tension on the bobber keep the loop in place. You want to make sure that when you set this up your loop slips out of the bobber and releases it so you aren't dealing with a bobber on your line when you're bringing in your catch.
I hope this makes sense. It's worked great for me.

thanks i saw that the ones on the rod tip would fowl when reeling in and didnt know how or what else to use thanks for the tip

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I agree with Auger. I've been using these Ice Buster Slip Bobbers for 6-7 years now and cannot imagine deadsticking without them. Buy a dozen and see for yourself.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I love the piano wire type indicators that you lash to the rod tip. I can't imagine fishing for trout or panfish through the ice without them. If a fish even breathes on the jig, they transmit it. Often, that indicator wire will move only 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch when a fish mouths your bait. You won't see it without an indicator.

I've tried the bobber method and my personal opinion is that it's tougher to use, and not as sensitive with the micro jigs I like for trout and perch.

To each his own.

·
Registered
756 Posts
BTW, I'll use those ice busters for dead sticking and I'll snap on while I'm jigging as well. That way if I have to walk away from my hole for any reason my jigging spoon or whatever can stay at the same depth. I've often come back to my hole and had a fish on....

·
Registered
509 Posts
Thanks for the link Auger. That's a great product. I'll order some. I think it may be a better method than the one I'm using now.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
ice fisher said:
Thanks for the link Auger. That's a great product. I'll order some. I think it may be a better method than the one I'm using now.
I've seen the ice busters at GM in case you were wondering.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
I love the piano wire type indicators that you lash to the rod tip. I can't imagine fishing for trout or panfish through the ice without them. If a fish even breathes on the jig, they transmit it. Often, that indicator wire will move only 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch when a fish mouths your bait. You won't see it without an indicator.

I've tried the bobber method and my personal opinion is that it's tougher to use, and not as sensitive with the micro jigs I like for trout and perch.

To each his own.
I think I have tried most styles out there from the piano wire ones with a loop on the end, the flat spring-steel ones with an eye on the end, the pen spring style ones as well as the ice buster bobbers. I like some of them for different methods but most have their shortcomings. The flat spring-steel ones tend to twist up on my and are more difficult to keep in place and I have concerns about light line wrapping up against the flat metal at the eye. The "pen-spring" style ones I like for really light stuff but you have to use a trick or two to get your line threaded through them properly and they are particularly prone to icing up due to the design...thus they are really only suited to using inside a heated hut. I like the ice-buster bobbers if I am going to deadstick live bait with an open bail where the fish can run with it but for picky fish like 'eyes and crappie you need to either trim the bobber down or add just the right amount of weight to make them just barely positively buoyant or the fish may feel it and spit the bait. I am with Don that the best model going is the piano-wire style with a larger eye on the tip as well as some type of brightly colored bead or marking on the end for visibility. With these, there is no significant problems with the large eye gathering too much ice or the spring bobber twisting and wrapping up the line. Absolutely invaluable for live bait presentations or small artificialls when fishing for potentially light-biting fish.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I use the piano wire type but put it between the eyes further down the rod. it work just as good and is never in the way

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:

To each his own.
been fishing with this type on a number of my rods for years and they improved my catch rate on the many lite bite days I have had.

·
P I K E
10,001 Posts
go_fly_fishing said:
IVE SEEN MOST OF THESE BUT I DONT KNOW IF I RECOGNIZE THE PIANO WIRE ONES BY NAME ALONE DOES SOMEONE HAVE A LINK TO THEM?
I've made and used my own piano wire type for years now and luv em! Like Fyraxe, I also move them down a little between the eyes, this also works as an adjustment for the spring tension of the indicator. I also use a lil red/white bobber sometimes, but I dangle it from the line between the 2 bottom eyes. When I set it flies off without any distraction.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I like the look of those Pikester how did you make them getting all those bends looking perfect or better yet do you have any for sale. Do they stay in place well on the rod or do you have to deal with the indicator spinning.

Indicators are as important as a vex most days. I switch it up allot but have had my best success with wire indicators expecially for live bait. Allot of times your indicator bouncing lets you know something is in the area and they help you by letting you know you have a minnow working for you and not sleeping on the job. However other species require a slip float of some kind do to the slow take or they nose it allot liike smallies and eyes. Floats make you patiient and keep you from pulling the hook away to soon.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Looks like ol Tony is using either a bending jig or some of those nifty wire forming pliers like I have!

We have piano wire ones over in Ice Fishing at BPS over on the gondola with the tip-ups and bigger accessories. (Across from the minnow tank and the bait refrigerator)

I'm not entirely keen on indicators myself. Given, deadsticking for me usually involves setting the rod in the wall pocket of the ice house while I'm fiddling with something else. Last 3 times I did this, I had really 'obvious' bites - bouncing tip and fish taking drag! I have taken them off all my rods that I have used them on.

But some people just love 'em. Guess it's what you like to fish with. And no, I don't use bobbers either. A super sensitive rod tip is sometimes all you need - like on those ultralight panfish rods.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Strike indicators? Bobbers? Light action tips? I can't buy a bite when I fish for trout. I'm going back to laker fishing, where I can tell a fish is on. O0
Kinda half-hearting kidding, ..no...when I turn away to do something in the shanty, and I turn back and my rod is gone,..think I might have just missed a nice trout at Antero.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
lake1177 said:
Kinda half-hearting kidding, ..no...when I turn away to do something in the shanty, and I turn back and my rod is gone,..think I might have just missed a nice trout at Antero.
Yeah, that "kersploosh" sound is the original Antero strike indicator. >:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts