Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay gents. Last night I noticed fuel leaking out of the carb on my Mag III. I have two of them and have never had an issue with the first one I purchased over 20 years ago.

Consequently, the newer one is the one that is leaking. I recently replaced the rope and filled it with fuel during the holidays to crank it up. Started with no issues. I even started it on multiple days to ensure it is running fine before my next ice adventure. It wasn't leaking during warmer weather.

Last night I went out to start it in the garage and smelled fuel. Upon further inspection I could see it was wet near the carb body and idling screw. I observed for a while and noticed fuel would bead up and drop on the base.

Upon starting it will not leak and idle and rev up just fine.:confused:

Anyone else see or have this issue?

Been hemming on purchasing a battery operated auger, but do not want to pony up the money. Maybe it is a sign.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It starts up and idles fine. No leaking while in operation.

It was only leaking when it was not operating.

·
P I K E
10,159 Posts
Checkers, check the fuel lines to see if there are any cracks or came loose. Does that model have the primer pump on it and if so have you checked the connections there?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Unless properly summarized, fuel lines and tanks will decay throughout the year. Run your auger dry with Sea Foam or Stabil after your last use every season. Remember to run it dry, if you have a primer bulb...even out of there. Replace all your fuel lines and tank and the auger should be fine.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Fuel line has small leak check around clamps, primer bulbs do start to wear but that a easy one to see if its leaking.

·
Registered
803 Posts
If it's just leaking from carb, maybe carb needs to be rebuilt, not a hard job.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's simpler than a snowmobile-
LMAO........Ol' Slayerfish and his wit.

Okay so checked fuel lines and all look good and clamps are secure.

Left it stored for a few days with the screw on cap loose.

Just checked it now and no signs of fuel or leaks where previously seen. SMH

I'm thinking small crack in plastic nipple where fuel enters carb and requires pressure to force fuel thru crack.

This is based on seeing this with my older Mag III and the nipple dried out and cracked. Fixed this issue with super glue.

I will continue to observe and see what I find.

ZMAN I like your thinking, but just hate to pony up the $$$$.

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
If you do a search on here I remember I think more than a few threads about similar leaks with gas augers...the number 1 reason I never bought one even choosing to drill holes with a manual one...i bet its an annual occurance...the leak that is...

·
P I K E
10,159 Posts
If you do a search on here I remember I think more than a few threads about similar leaks with gas augers...the number 1 reason I never bought one even choosing to drill holes with a manual one...i bet its an annual occurance...the leak that is...
did you ever get your Gator checked out?

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Yep they sent me a new control unit and its fine...I don't like fighting ski traffic so I don't ice lakers so I dont use it...will put it on craigs list one of these days...funny i have a clam adapter...and a drill and dont use that on front range ice...a minute or so yesterday for 2 holes with my lazer 7 manually...already take too much junk out on the ice...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just as I suspected. Crack at the base of the nipple which is the inlet of the carb. I cleaned and applied super glue. I'll let it sit for a few day to see if the leak is gone.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Yep. Same thing happened to my Strikemaster last year. The nipple was cracked, and super glue did not work. Ordered one on Amazon. $5.95 for two. wish I could remember the seller. You really should replace it.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
JB Weld is two part epoxy that can be used to repair a leaky gas tank. Might work better for you than superglue.

I agree the part should be replaced.

Authorized Strikemaster repair shop is Area Renta-Alls 7900 N. Federal Blvd. in Westminster.

·
Registered
54 Posts
More than likely it's coming from inside the carb. I had one do the same thing. It's from residue that holds a part open or a gasket is split that allows it to leak. Since it stopped leaking after running it is would guess that something was stuck open. You can get a new carb and gaskets on Amazon for only $15.

·
Registered
16,677 Posts
More than likely it's coming from inside the carb. I had one do the same thing. It's from residue that holds a part open or a gasket is split that allows it to leak. Since it stopped leaking after running it is would guess that something was stuck open. You can get a new carb and gaskets on Amazon for only $15.
Dude look at the pic-::)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts