Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
da_teacher said:
jclay0429 said:
Never used the electra. The gator rocks! If you want to try it out or check it out, let me know.
Which one do you have? The Lithium Ion one is on backorder....bleh.
I have the Attacker II. I don't think it's the Lithium Ion one. I got it last year before those came out. I know the ion one is lighter, but I like mine because the weight on it is just right. You don't have to push at all, just press the button and hold on, and it sails through the ice with the Nils bit.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Should say, I have yet to run mine out of juice. I've had several days where i used it two days in a row. Also forgot to charge it a couple of times. I drilled probably 60-70 holes the first day I used it through 10 inches of ice.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I tried to buy a Gator last year but they were back ordered forever. Got a killer deal on an Electra, and quickly got rid of my gas auger!
I belive the Gator is the best electric. Being 24 volt versus 12, it's going to last longer and seems to be a little faster. If you're going to be drilling 30 plus holes a day, the Gator is going to be auger to have. Saying that, I have drilled over 30 holes with the Electra( 7" hole x 12" thick ice) with no signs of slowing down. They use a standard flasher battery, so having a spare is not a problem.
We'll see how it goes this year, but I don't think I'll ever own another gas auger.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Strikemaster doesn't , and Gator doesn't recommend it. I've heard of people doing it with the Gator, but the batteries don't last long. I'm real curious to see how the new lithium batteries work.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Altidude said:
I tried to buy a Gator last year but they were back ordered forever. Got a killer deal on an Electra, and quickly got rid of my gas auger!
I belive the Gator is the best electric. Being 24 volt versus 12, it's going to last longer and seems to be a little faster. If you're going to be drilling 30 plus holes a day, the Gator is going to be auger to have. Saying that, I have drilled over 30 holes with the Electra( 7" hole x 12" thick ice) with no signs of slowing down. They use a standard flasher battery, so having a spare is not a problem.
We'll see how it goes this year, but I don't think I'll ever own another gas auger.
How much did you pay for it? Can't decide...read some reviews on the Electra about the plastic handles. What's your take on it?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I got a deal on the Electra- $250. I had a Strikemaster gas auger with the plastic handles and never had a problem with them, and it got thrown around pretty hard. I have heard the same story though, you just have to be careful with it. Strikemaster has a new plastic formula for this year, but plastic is plastic. If it gets cold and hit, its gonna crack.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Altidude said:
Strikemaster doesn't , and Gator doesn't recommend it. I've heard of people doing it with the Gator, but the batteries don't last long. I'm real curious to see how the new lithium batteries work.
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Altidude said:
I got a deal on the Electra- $250. I had a Strikemaster gas auger with the plastic handles and never had a problem with them, and it got thrown around pretty hard. I have heard the same story though, you just have to be careful with it. Strikemaster has a new plastic formula for this year, but plastic is plastic. If it gets cold and hit, its gonna crack.
Killer deal!!! Care to share? LOL

·
Registered
109 Posts
It was an end of season deal ( Feb. 09). You probably won't find a deal on an auger right now. Seems like all the popular ice gear gets sold out quickly in the fall. If you are looking at getting an Ice Gator, you better act fast, or it will be months before you see one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts