Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I have a 2 hp strikemaster lazer auger, one of the Tecumsheh motors, and the gas tank has now broken off all of it's mounting points. The only thing holding it on is the screws that attach it to the carb through the air filter. I've seen a couple other models, and talked with their owners, and they've said they've had similar problems. I pull the auger on a jet sled, and it rides in the back of the truck to/from the lake. When it's riding in the sled, I put it on it's "side" so that the gas tank vent is vertical upward. I"m thinking that what's happening is that regular driving (bumps, dirt roads, etc) is causing the power head to bounce up and down on the back edge of the jet sled, and it's causing the plastic gas tank to eventually break at the mount points.

So I have a couple questions for the crew here ... first, anybody have a similar experience with their augers? Did you ever find out what the problem was? If I am right, and it's because of the way I tansport the auger, how do you tranport it so that it's not bouncing like that? It'd be better if the cure was not to replace the gas tank (at $35 per tank) every 5 years!

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Dogwood

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i rarely put mine in the back of anything. i put it inside in the back of my four door diesel with the seat folded down most trips. to avoid the possibility of this happeneing.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
i rarely put mine in the back of anything. i put it inside in the back of my four door diesel with the seat folded down most trips. to avoid the possibility of this happeneing.
When I ice-fished I transported mine inside the cab of my pickup as well. It not only kept it from getting broke; it made it easier to start as well.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I had the same powerhead for years. Had that issue after flipping pull sled over behind snowmobile. If I remember right it had one mounting hole over the stud on recoil cover? I put a larger flat washer over mine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately traveling with the auger in the truck is a non-starter. Just not the room in the cab unless I was to disconnect the power head from the drill assembly every time. I generally fish with another guy, so between him and all our gear that we need to keep warm (boots, clothing, sonars, rods, etc), I'm afraid the auger won't fit. You guys are right about starting it in the cold ... keeping it warm makes it about 80 billion times easier to start in -15 deg weather. Hmmmm, the search continues.

Best regards,
Dogwood

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
It takes like 30 seconds to take the power head from the auger bit. Def worth your time.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Unfortunately traveling with the auger in the truck is a non-starter. Just not the room in the cab unless I was to disconnect the power head from the drill assembly every time. I generally fish with another guy, so between him and all our gear that we need to keep warm (boots, clothing, sonars, rods, etc), I'm afraid the auger won't fit. You guys are right about starting it in the cold ... keeping it warm makes it about 80 billion times easier to start in -15 deg weather. Hmmmm, the search continues.

Best regards,
Dogwood
http://www.harborfreight.com/square-bail-pto-lock-pin-60660.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts