Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about getting some new ice gear, like the looks of the striker stuff, been able to touch the preditor jacket local and it looks like nice quality gear. Anybody been using it or the hardwater jacket to give some feedback? any stores on the front range carrying it? Online it show 11 miles sports and a small fly shop in Montrose as only colorado dealers. Thinking it would double as good late season boat gear as well since it has some floation. Thanks

·
Registered
471 Posts
I got a striker ice jacket a few years ago online for real cheap, I think from red's or something like that. It's not the floating rated one, but its the best coat I've had so far. I rarely even jip it up, unless it's below zero degrees. I also got the floating bibs. They are too big in the waist and the knees are wearing a bit thin. Very warm and flexible, but the pockets suck and only have 2 that are small.
Get the coat! It's money

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
If you just had the floaty bibs on and you took a swim would your legs be up in the top of the water with your head down?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Maybe? I think any flotation would be good. But if it flips you upside down, you could be in trouble or pull the bibs down and moon everyone before you drown.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank Max, yeah Im looking at the jacket hard, was out of 2" of ice the other week (stupid) but got thinking would be good idea to have some floatation, lol.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Bobco I bought Arctic Armor its super warm no more bulky than a regular winter coat and it floats...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for info guys, allot of choices out there. been reading on ice shanty as well, allmost sounds like some the stuff is to warm. anybody know if DICKS sports has this stuff on racks in Denver?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had the Striker Lite suit, no longer in production, for 3 years. Love it and it was well worth the money. I'm on my way home now from SD, spent 5 days fishing Waubay and a few smaller lakes in the area. With the addition of my lite base layer and a hooldie to my jeans and a long-sleeved t-shirt I was able to spend the whole trip fishing outside on the ice in the wind(let one of the other guys in our group that was under prepared wearing his hunting gear use my clam Kenai). I was never cold, in fact I kept the sides of the legs mostly unzipped most of the time to help regulate my temp(the 3 zippers help allot with that).

Here is a video for the company, https://youtu.be/zrOcOvv2lIw

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bobco, I have the predator coat and bibs, I love them, best suit on the market in my opinion. You can get them at sportsmans warehouse or Gander Mtn. I ordered mine from Gander Mtn.
Kent

·
Registered
113 Posts
I got the floating coat and bibs last year at sportsmans warehouse and love them so far very warm with lots of smart pockets. I got the XL and the coat reminds me I need to loose some weight.If you are of a slim build you will love it because its not super baggy.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the input, Im leaning toward the preditor suit, with layer should be plenty warm, thanks again....

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
You'll like the predator suit. When I got my bibs I was worried they were to heavy and bulky because I do alot of walking on the ice. I found them to be real easy to move around in and they have good options for ventilating. I've never been to sweaty, or to cold in them. I've used them almost 40 times this year and have seen zero signs of wear an tear.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The gf and I love our striker hard water suits. it looks brand new besides where I melted it on heater. I've got 2 years on it. I also use it chasing eyes at night spring and fall on the yak. It's my favorite fishing investment.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks everyone for input, watch for stores to start blowing ice gear out and pick one up. thanks again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts