Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out and got schooled by some walleyes this evening (pun intended). Was pulling a 1/4oz jig tipped with a crawler. Hooked up on 4 fish, was able to see 2 of them before they came unbuttoned. Both high 20" tanks, the other 2 felt just as good. From what I could see they were barely hooked in the upper lip. My question is why, 4 fish in a row with the same result.

Rod: 7'6" medium fast action spinning
6lb mono with 8lb fluorocarbon leader.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Maybe a lighter jig? Sounds like they were barely sucking it all in. Also were they good quality (sharp) hooks?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe a lighter jig? Sounds like they were barely sucking it all in. Also were they good quality (sharp) hooks?
I was thinking maybe a lighter jig might help. I was using Northland FireBall jigs, hooks seem pretty sharp. They weren't very aggressive, they would thump it then just get real heavy. The 1st one felt like a snag for the first few seconds.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Try a longer shanked jig. Fireball jigs are great with minnows,not so much worms. Heck loose the bait all together and throw plastics. Neal's blog has some good suggestion .

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried soft plastics and Gulp products there before without much luck. Normally after a cold front the Ol' jig and crawler works. Maybe I needed to give them a couple extra seconds before setting the hook. And I agree Neal's blog is great, I've referred to it many times.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Make/or buy some stinger hooks. That will significantly up your hook up ratio. Specifically when they aren't feeding aggressively.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
For jig fishing, I like just straight fluoro. I'd go up to 10 or 12#. If you don't like that, go with braid or Nanofil as your main line, with your fluoro leader. I suggest both for better hooksets. Sounds like the rod you're using is good, but your line might be a little light for jig fishing and hook setting.

Braid and Nanofil have no stretch. Heavy fluoro does still stretch a bit, but not as much as mono.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
For jig fishing, I like just straight fluoro. I'd go up to 10 or 12#. If you don't like that, go with braid or Nanofil as your main line, with your fluoro leader. I suggest both for better hooksets. Sounds like the rod you're using is good, but your line might be a little light for jig fishing and hook setting.

Braid and Nanofil have no stretch. Heavy fluoro does still stretch a bit, but not as much as mono.
started using this setup a couple years ago for jig fishing. it really makes a difference

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I have a new spool of 20lb PowerPro, I've been meaning to switch over to it. If the weather holds off I'll give it try this evening.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I like Nanofil also!! I use a 6' 10 floro leader with it. I also always have a rod rigged with 10 lb Sensation mono. I use this to throw up shallow in snaggy area's so i can just break off my jig if i snag.

How deep are those fish you are targeting?

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I have a new spool of 20lb PowerPro, I've been meaning to switch over to it. If the weather holds off I'll give it try this evening.
I'm a fan of power pro lines, but be aware, that braid floats, so it will fish similar to mono in regards to drop rate and bottom contact. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it does matter sometimes. Suffix 832 sinks, as does straight Fluoro.

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
When im actively jigging tubes and grubs off the bottom, I find mono works better. It floats and keeps the lure in the zone longer. Dont have to "work" the lure as fast. Def makes a difference.
Dragging bottom braid is king.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like Nanofil also!! I use a 6' 10 floro leader with it. I also always have a rod rigged with 10 lb Sensation mono. I use this to throw up shallow in snaggy area's so i can just break off my jig if i snag.

How deep are those fish you are targeting?
They're pretty shallow 10 to 15 foot, there's a lot of big boulders and snags. I lose a lot of jig heads!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I'm a fan of power pro lines, but be aware, that braid floats, so it will fish similar to mono in regards to drop rate and bottom contact. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it does matter sometimes. Suffix 832 sinks, as does straight Fluoro.
I just put the Suffix on my baitcaster that I use for Carolina rigging and and Lindy Rigging and I like it a lot!!!

My friend Heath up at Glendo gets rid of the jig all together when fishing neutral or negative fish below the boat. He puts on a 1/2 ounce bouncer and a two hook crawler harness with no blade. It works great! I now do the same thing without the bouncer and dead stick it while I jig with another rod.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I actually had a worm harness out with the blade dragging behind the boat while I drifted over the area. It picked a slimer and a 8 inch perch is all.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I actually had a worm harness out with the blade dragging behind the boat while I drifted over the area. It picked a slime and a 8 inch perch is all.
Try it without the blade next time. Sometimes the blade and clevis weigh down your crawler just like the jig.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Sometimes they just don't bite well? Seriously, I have experienced outings where I do everything the same as I normally do, but my hookup is just lousy compared to normal... Some good advices have already been given, so I had to try something different. :cool::D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts