Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone spend anytime chasing stripers at McConaughy. thinking of doing a trip to check it out but not shur when the best time is.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Re: strippers at McConaughy

I've caught some nice wipers, but there are very few stripers left (according to Neb. fish biologists) I would think the water is too cold right now, but you never know.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts

i didnt know that mac had strippers, i better get there more often and bring my dollar bills. i thought they stuck around the clubs. ;D

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts

I also think its a little cold right now to target them, but you never know.  Might want to try HookNLine also he fished alot of early season wipers there last year and did well.  

M

·
0 Posts

Try a little later in the year. I like Martin's Bay. I take the boat but usually around 2 or 3pm I'll come in and fish from shore - I've had some excellent days there.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts

there were several posts/threads last year about that lake try a search, they might have called it big mac or something like that. i too was thinking of takeing the boat up there for a long weekend

·
Registered
164 Posts

Yea I was gonna make a trip up there for some stripers. I have talked to several guides up there... They have told me the stripers are long gone now... it was good in the 80's But now they only guide for wipers... Try at the dam.. its pretty good...
Now if you were talking about Strippers there might be some nice girls up there although there corn fed so you can take your chances lol

·
Registered
1,947 Posts

jamiehughes said:
i didnt know that mac had strippers, i better get there more often and bring my dollar bills. i thought they stuck around the clubs. ;D
LOLOLOLOL HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA Thought this was a fishing site.

·
Registered
164 Posts

Sure do... I was just giving him a hard time for spelling stripers with two P's lol

·
Registered
769 Posts

Caught a 40" striper at Big Mac in 1998 (on a crawler harness at 40 feet of depth) and saw
another big one caught a year or two later. If there are any left in that lake, they are probably
huge by now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

hey it was 6am and was thinking naked girls already(always) but stripers is what I was after. If the corn fed strippers is what I was looking for  think I need a trip up to the clowns den lol. I didn't  know that McConaughy had lost thier striper population (that sucks). thanks for the info.  I can always take the teasing for my spelling . instead of attending school I went fishing.

·
Registered
843 Posts
There are still striper left at big Mac. My friend caught and has one mounted in his home 2 years ago. It looks over 40 inches. Huge and beautiful. He said he caught 2 that year in late September. I did't ask if he caught any last year.

lovetofish

·
Registered
117 Posts
Last year in June i remember some people on Jet skies hauling in a 39in Striper saying they hit it on accident while skimming through the water lol i was very jealous.The striper wouldnt even fit it their cooler, head sticking out one end the tail sticking out the other. They didnt even know what kind of fish it was haha thought it was a trout.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
good job takin the ribbin liquorbox,it was all in fun, but if you do know where the strippers are up there, let me know, it would make the long drive worth it, after a long day of fishing, what could be better... >:D

·
Registered
988 Posts
DOW stop stocking stripers and crappies there in the late 80's is what I've been told. Big Mac and Lake Ogalla still has a few bigguns in there. Last year I seen one over 50" garauntee. Told the warden that I just seen the world record wiper, he said it probably was a striper. He used to catch one or two big ones every night in the 80's. But since they stopped stocking the population has been decreasing for they have a hard time spawning in still water. But some believe their productive. If you want stripers go to Powell, they're over populated.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The stripers in big Mac are the reason there are not many of the special strain of Mconahayuyyyyy (sp) rainbow trout any more. The stocked Stripers tended to live at the same thermocline as the trout and seemed to like snacking on them so while the stripers got huge, the trout fishing in the streams upstream from Mac I.E. western Nebraska suffered from a heavily reduced trout run. There are a few BIG stripers still in Mac but if you want big trout and no crowds, try lake Ogalalla just below the Kingsley dam.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts