Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are the strongest hooks or jigs available for tiny jigs (less than 1/32th ounce)? I have hooked into some monster rainbows in Wyoming (24-28 inch, 7+lb) that bend my hooks straight. I usually fish tiny (1/80th – 1/32th ounce) jigs on 4lb or 6lb line. I have tried bigger stronger jigs (1/8th – 3/16th ounce) but the fish routinely deny the bigger baits and heavier line. When hooked these rainbows instantly go buck wild and freight train away bending my hooks. I have my drag set light to prevent the hooks from bending but these fish are so powerful and fast it doesn’t always work.

It doesn’t matter if I have to pour my own or if I can buy them finished already. What the strongest micro hooks or jigs available?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
What are the strongest hooks or jigs available for tiny jigs (less than 1/32th ounce)? I have hooked into some monster rainbows in Wyoming (24-28 inch, 7+lb) that bend my hooks straight. I usually fish tiny (1/80th – 1/32th ounce) jigs on 4lb or 6lb line. I have tried bigger stronger jigs (1/8th – 3/16th ounce) but the fish routinely deny the bigger baits and heavier line. When hooked these rainbows instantly go buck wild and freight train away bending my hooks. I have my drag set light to prevent the hooks from bending but these fish are so powerful and fast it doesn’t always work.

It doesn’t matter if I have to pour my own or if I can buy them finished already. What the strongest micro hooks or jigs available?
I know Clam Maggot Drop Jigs have some stout hooks in them, the lightest I've seen is 1/16th and 1/32th though.

http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_fishing/tackle/dropseries/maggot-drop.html

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately there is not a real good way to compare the tensile strengths of different hooks or jigs. I have found a couple guys online that make custom micro steelhead jigs for big salmon and steelheads. I'm going to order some and give them a try. I figure if the micro jigs are custom made to catch 10+ lb steelhead and salmon in a river then they are probably going to be able to hold a 8lb rainbow in the lake if i do my part.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Mustad 32833BLN jig hooks are the best micro jig hooks I'm aware of, and I spent many years using micro jigs extensively. Smallest size I am aware of is a bit large, #10. Still, they give you piece of mind.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Mustad 32833BLN jig hooks are the best micro jig hooks I'm aware of, and I spent many years using micro jigs extensively. Smallest size I am aware of is a bit large, #10. Still, they give you piece of mind.
X2

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I can pour heads down to 1/64th oz. on that hook in a size 10. I would never worry about that hook breaking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts