Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have no knowledge about Submarines or anything of the like LOL.. But I got these two "plaques" from my uncle about 15 years ago before he passed away. No idea where he acquired them as i know for sure he was never in the military.

I had forgotten that i had these until the other day when i was going through some boxes in the garage and came across them. I was telling a friend of mine about them and he thought they were pretty cool...

So i did some research online and determined that they are from the USS Ethan Allen(Duh it says that right on them LOL).. And that the Ethan Allen was:

"USS ETHAN ALLEN was the first ship of the Navy's second generation of nuclear powered fleet ballistic missile submarines and the second ship in the Navy to bear the name."

And also pretty neat:

"While operating in the Pacific as a unit of Joint Task Force 8 Operation Frigate-Bird, the ETHAN ALLEN fired the only nuclear-armed POLARIS missile ever launched on May 6, 1962. The Polaris A1 missile was launched while the ETHAN ALLEN submerged in the Pacific, and the missile's nuclear warhead was detonated over the South Pacific at the end of its programmed flight. The shot was made during the 1962 atomic tests and hit "right in the pickle barrel." The captain of the ETHAN ALLEN was Paul Lacy, and admiral Levering Smith was aboard. To date, this is the only complete proof test of a U.S. strategic missile. With the ban on atmospheric testing, the chances of another similar test are remote."




And looks like it was redesignated:

"After 19 years of service, the ETHAN ALLEN was redesignated as SSN 608, but only served for 3 years in her new role. Decommissioned on March 31, 1983, and stricken from the Navy list on April 2, 1983, the ETHAN ALLEN spent the next years at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, Wash., awaiting to be disposed of through the Navy's Nuclear Powered Ship and Submarine Recycling Program. Recycling of the ETHAN ALLEN was finished on July 30, 1999."


For wich i have both of the "plaques" showing SSN 608 and SSBN 608.


My main question is..

What are these "plaques" that i have?? I am hoping maybe someone who has actually been in or seen a submarine may know what they are?

I have no idea but assume they were mounted somewhere inside the submarine?(My guess because the backs of the plaques are flat and would need to be rounded to mount to the outside of a sub?)

I think they are pretty cool. Def. in good shape.. and possibly 1 of a kind?

Anyway here are some pics for those who want to check them out.. or for those who may know what they are LOL


Front


Back
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,422 Posts
A friend of mine who was in the navy, not on any subs, said they are most likely quarterdeck plaques, and they are most likely one of a kind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Koldkut said:
A friend of mine who was in the navy, not on any subs, said they are most likely quarterdeck plaques, and they are most likely one of a kind.
Sweet thanks for the info!! Def. much appreciated!! At least gives me another keyword to use when searching :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
991 Posts
Could be a quarterdeck plaque. The other possibility is that they could have come from a commissioning plaque too. I have a commissioning plaque from the USS Ohio (SSBN 726) because I was on the commissioning crew. That said, they most likely would have originally been glued onto a piece of wood. If you do a search for commissioning plaque and check the images, you can see some examples. These don't look like they were glued onto anything though. Looks like they have a couple of small holes that may have had rivets or something - which makes me think your quarterdeck plaque may be right....

Let us know if you get confirmation
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
onefishinfool said:
Could be a quarterdeck plaque. The other possibility is that they could have come from a commissioning plaque too. I have a commissioning plaque from the USS Ohio (SSBN 726) because I was on the commissioning crew. That said, they most likely would have originally been glued onto a piece of wood. If you do a search for commissioning plaque and check the images, you can see some examples. These don't look like they were glued onto anything though. Looks like they have a couple of small holes that may have had rivets or something - which makes me think your quarterdeck plaque may be right....

Let us know if you get confirmation
Thanks man. I will def. let you know if I get any confirmation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
those are both quarter deck plaques and the are definetly one of a kind and i would like to here the stories from that heralked ship and her crew. those are a definite relic to save for future generations
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
azbassernco said:
those are both quarter deck plaques and the are definetly one of a kind and i would like to here the stories from that heralked ship and her crew. those are a definite relic to save for future generations
Sweet!! Thanks a lot!!

Think I should save them?

or maybe sell them to someone who has a history with the sub?

Honestly they have no sentimental value to me.. I am sure someone else who knows what they are would enjoy them more than me. Maybe even find someone who served on that sub to purchase them or something :/

Hmmm. Wonder how much they are worth :) LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I joined the USS Ethan Allen page on facebook and shared that picture.. There are even a couple vids of the sub on that FB page!!

Pretty Cool :)
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top