Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh, how I do so hate mixing epoxy... you'd think after all these years I'd get the proportions right... mixing and I don't get along as well as we should...

I've used UV knot sense a lot lately, and yes, I know about the Medallion sheeting thing... man, that stuff is picky, picky, picky.... So help me I'm going to beat my cheap old blacklight into the ground... But the finish isn't as shiny... now do the fish really care? (Have also done up some scuds with UVKS on the back instead of epoxy... haven't had a chance to fish yet though)

I've looked at Tuffleye... and had a small cardiac event over the price tag... nice system, but I'm a little stingy right now... maybe when I retire (ha-ha!)... ::)

Any other shellback forming chemical goo out there I haven't played with yet?

I finally got a tube of gel cyanocrylate (super glue). I haven't sat down to try coating shellbacks with it. Any of you out there try this instead of epoxy? What results have you had? Definite improvement over runny super glue for some thngs.

Appreciate your input. Thanks all. :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks to Kimo's help, here is what I use:

I strictly use the UV Knotsense. The pain that I had was having to hold that goofy handheld light until it cured. So what I did is went on ebay and purchased one of those finger nail uv light dryer thingama-gigs. Tie the fly, put it in an old fly case, put your Knotsense on as desired, slide it in the dryer and within 30 seconds the whole lot is cured and ready for use. I like it because I don't have to hold onto the light and two I can cure multiple flies at the same time.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Loon has also come up with UV Clear Fly Finish. It's harder and a little more clear. Not cheap though. It's about $25 for what looks like 2-3 tubes of UV knotsense. I'm also looking to get some Clear Cure Goo. The saltwater guys use it for spoonflys. The advantage is it's a little more flexible. It seems cheaper too.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I hate to say it, but epoxy is still the best.

Get a couple syringes, and shoot A and B onto a piece of foil. It works great.

I do use UV goop. But it is not as durable as the epoxy.

The "fingernail oven" is a very good idea for the UV goop. Works much better.

SS

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm considering mounting that blacklight on one side of my fly tying desk... thanks for info.

If you guys do have any success with UV Cure Goo... lemme know! ;)

·
Registered
511 Posts
How important is the shellback on certain flies? On my Copper Johns, I'm too lazy to go back and epoxy the shellback: I've done some but it seems like such a mess to do for something I'm not concerned makes a difference.

I want to tie good looking flies (to the human eye) but if it doesn't make a difference (to the fish eye), I guess I'm not going to bother with it. Do you all see any difference fishing with or without the epoxy looking shellback? Say, on Copper Johns?

S

·
0 Posts
What the epoxy blob represents is the gas bubble on an emerging insect. Adds a touch of realism.

I agree with you , i dont tie anything on a fly to please the human eye, all that counts is that it catches fish - period. 99% of a fly is profile/color/size.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts