Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught some suckers that I kept for ice fishing bait this last weekend. I froze 2 whole and one I chunked up into usable bait chunks and froze them also. This was the first time I tried this. I was wondering how other people keep their sucker meat for later use? Thanks!

·
Registered
358 Posts
The best thing to do is catch suckers the day before you head out fishing...... cut those suckers into narrow strips making sure to leave some skin on each piece. Obviously you'll have success simply cutting an entire frozen sucker while on the ice but if your bait thaws the meat will most likely fall of the skin making it difficult to keep your bait on a hook...... this tends to be the case for those suckers that have been frozen for a few months...... either way, having your bait ready to go means you'll be fishing and not wasting time cutting up bait.... I'm thinking about ice as well man, Good luck!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Frozen. Just like how you buy it in the bait shop. I've never had an issue keeping the bait on the hook when using it frozen and the scent stays on it a long time

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've never had an issue keeping the bait on the hook when using it frozen
You've never had an issue keeping the bait on the hook when using it frozen :fish: If your bait ever did thaw out wouldn't you think it would be a bit more difficult? I agree though that keeping it frozen is the best way for later use lol

·
Registered
358 Posts
Solid input mattyt...... reel.eze might like to know how to ensure his bait stays on a hook if he were to accidently let his sucker thaw...... I got you bro...... if this happens find some elastic thread and wrap your bait onto the hook...... point was you should prepare your bait so that your time is spent chasing those monsters........ cut up your bait before you head out fishing and keep it frozen while on the ice

·
Registered
749 Posts
I freeze mine and put water in the bag to stop freezer burn and the meat drying out. I do pre cut the meat in to strips and 1 inch squares

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
I also try to pre-cut mine b4 freezing. It saves time, mess, and waste while on the water.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
if you get to the point it thawed and doesn't stay on your hook, stuff it up inside the tube jig. Works damn well and doesn't change the look or action of your jig.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
if you get to the point it thawed and doesn't stay on your hook, stuff it up inside the tube jig. Works damn well and doesn't change the look or action of your jig.
Now there's a tip that people would normally have to pay for!!!!! Won't find many like that too often.

·
P I K E
10,111 Posts
^^^^^X2 Another good little tip for scents, take a small cotton ball and put it up into the tube then squirt the scent onto the cotton ball!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I use this for when sucker meat becomes a pain in my ass. Borderline secret, but i love you guys man.

Pikester, I'm going to have to throw some cotton balls in my box.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Just keep your bait as fresh as possible same as you should any kept fish to eat that aren't consumed fresh by either Vac packing it or freezing in water. I never buy Sucker meat and just process my own. Some sell wrapped whole in Saran wrap but if you thaw it out cut it in strips and refreeze it you may as well throw it away in my opinion.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info guys! I also dip my jig in the bag of bait to get the scent and scales all over it . I have never precut my sucker before and I am anxious to try it. I did freeze it in water.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
You can also jam Powerbait into a tube jig. Or you can store tube jigs in either sucker meat juice or roe juice and the scent will soak in-

1 - 20 of 22 Posts