Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like in the title what ae they good for? only asking the kids and I caught 17 of them this weekend.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Suckers are good for bait. Cut 'em into chunks for catfish bait, or use small ones whole for pike and wipers.

The meat is full of tiny bones so they're not much fun to eat, although a couple of guys with smokers have told me they are good when smoked. They still have the bones, though.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
these guys are around 10 to 14 inches each.. leave the guts in them? should I freeze them for ice fishin next year? just stumped what to do.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Give some to me!

Seriously, sucker is a good bait, especially when relatively fresh, but if gets old its not worth its weight ...

·
Registered
110 Posts
hmmmm ask your local baitshop see how much you would get for them.... if not take walking eagles advice cut them up freeze them and use them for cats, wipers, etc...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
bobwall said:
where did you catch them? would live to get my hands on a few 8 inchers-
They are probably still running at the chatfield inlet.... I also caught 1 and saw some at the rampart res inlet.

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
That was my question where did you catch them...GPS rock coordinate not need... ::)

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
fishing303 said:
hmmmm ask your local baitshop see how much you would get for them....
becareful, selling fish caught with a sport license can get you in trouble

·
Registered
76 Posts
Suckers make excellent crawfish bait. And crawfish make excellent dinner. A fresh sucker in a crawfish trap can really bring the mud bugs in. Put a half a sucker in a trap or use a small sucker with slits cut into the flesh.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Macks (Lake Trout) love Suckers. Whole or pieces. Catch them freeze them and cut the big ones into small chunks, guts and all. Use them at Forebay, Twin, Turquoise Lakes.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Carp also make a fantastic garden fertilizer.

Depending on the size of fish, dig a hole and let them decompose a month or two. The hole should be big enough to bury the fish with a few inches of soil on top to keep most animals from digging them up). Turn the soil before planting.

Some of my buddies in Weld County swear by this and have the State Fair ribbons to prove it.

Carp are also the #2 game fish in the world but with all the fantastic sport fishing in this state, the carp have gotten a bad rap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts