Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a 1 day float trip next summer as a Christmas gift. I was wondering if anyone has had any great experiences with an outfitter on a beautiful stretch of river in colorado. I'm open to any location and time of year in Colorado.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi Chris. This is going to be for your dad who fly fishes? is that right? How much fly fishing experience does he have? I know he has fished just a little in Colorado. Are you looking for larger numbers of fish, but maybe not as big? or vice versa?

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
The Blue is really nice as is the Black Canyon on the Gunny... Those would be my suggestions...

Right now CO Skies Outfitters has a great deal. If you buy a float trip, they give a second trip to the charity of your choice and 10% to the same charity... good deal.

·
Registered
177 Posts
yeah, I would vote for the Gunny as well!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Oyey said:
The Blue is really nice as is the Black Canyon on the Gunny... Those would be my suggestions...

Right now CO Skies Outfitters has a great deal. If you buy a float trip, they give a second trip to the charity of your choice and 10% to the same charity... good deal.
I'm pretty sure there's no commercial guiding on the Blue...that being said, if you know someone with a boat and you happen to provide something in exchange for them rowing you and showing you around the Blue...that's a different story. >:D

The Blue is going to be an experience that not many anglers have the opportunity to fish, and for a once in a lifetime experience, I recommend it!

The Colorado can be good, but it's hit or miss depending on the time of year, and the fish there get a ton of pressure...but you can basically float it all year long.

The Eagle can be good and it's not as pressured as the Colorado, but the flows can be variable.

Have you thought maybe out of state? The Green in Utah is amazing with awesome views and great all around fishing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd recommend ArkAnglers in Salida on the Arkansas River. I have floated several rivers with different guides and have always enjoyed fishing with them the most. They have some great guides working with them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Vitesse304 said:
Oyey said:

I'm pretty sure there's no commercial guiding on the Blue...that being said, if you know someone with a boat and you happen to provide something in exchange for them rowing you and showing you around the Blue...that's a different story. >:D

The Blue is going to be an experience that not many anglers have the opportunity to fish, and for a once in a lifetime experience, I recommend it!

The Colorado can be good, but it's hit or miss depending on the time of year, and the fish there get a ton of pressure...but you can basically float it all year long.

The Eagle can be good and it's not as pressured as the Colorado, but the flows can be variable.

Have you thought maybe out of state? The Green in Utah is amazing with awesome views and great all around fishing.
My brother and I really want to float this legendary section of the blue someday. We don't know anybody in Denver with a boat that can take us. We've only been fly fishing for 3 years now and I guess we haven't made friends with the right people yet. Can somebody PM me with info on how I could make this happen next summer? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
182 Posts
schloe said:
Vitesse304 said:
Oyey said:

My brother and I really want to float this legendary section of the blue someday. We don't know anybody in Denver with a boat that can take us. We've only been fly fishing for 3 years now and I guess we haven't made friends with the right people yet. Can somebody PM me with info on how I could make this happen next summer? Thanks so much.
No need for a PM, there's no secret to it. Find a friend with a boat, or get one for yourself! Having a boat is great and it opens up a lot more fishing opportunities. Although there are a few technical sections, if you practice, you'll be okay. Float the colorado where there's no repercusions for touching down and with the additional traffic, if you happen to have boat problems, there's plenty of people around to help you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oyey is right on the money with the Black Canyon. This is an awesome trip and at the right time of year can be downright amazing. The only thing there is if you live in Denver, it's gonna be a two day outing at least. For a one day float...try the Colorado...especially for your first trip. It's nice and mellow and the dry fly action is awesome in the summer. We float the Colorado every other weekend through the summer and it's awesome. As far as the area on the Blue you're talking about....it's good, but depending on what you like. If you are a trophy hunter...you'll want to hit this section as I've seen many, many 10+ fish. However, you are streamer fishing or running deep nymph rigs in 15ft and deeper pools. It is a very difficult fish for someone not used to floating. I personally enjoy the run and shoot fast action of casting dries when i float. I also love to rack up at least 15 fish considering most floats last all day.The Colorado has produced 30+ fish days on a bunch of occasions and sometimes everybody in the boat catches those numbers. Thats why I love the Colorado. Cast parachutes on the banks with a dead drift and enjoy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts