Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the mack fishing . Anyone have any suggestions for success? I have only used tube jigs w/ sucker meat on them.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Do you subscribe to the Magazine? There have been some great articles about Lakers in there. You should see if you can pick an issue up somewhere.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
99% of the people in this site will tell you to use tubes with cut bait.. Success depends on the lake but fish 30-70' move around and you will catch Macks. Granby Green and Williams are some good lakes if your coming from denver. Also buy a lake map and look for humps, flats next to deep water channels and you should be in the right area.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have had equal success with airplane jigs, swedish pimples, and even large kast masters tipped with sucker meat jig them every once in awhile to put some flash in the area. They work better if you have a finder cause you can spook the fish real easy if your not careful.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I've been using a white tube jig/bucktail hybrid lure created by freshwater basics this year with pretty good success thus far. I tip it with anchovie and maybe smelly jelly too (but do not smear smelly jelly on the tentacles, it causes them to stick together and not flutter). I also use a "stinger hook" which is a small treble off of the mainhook to hook the lakers better. It seems to make a difference.
I like to fish near the bottom for macks, within a foot or so. If you see a suspender (which is fairly common in some lakes, and rare in others), reel up to it and you will probably catch it. The suspenders are the most active feeders. The ones on the bottom require a lot of guile at times, and can be tricky, but most of the lakers in most lakes are here so that is where you should fish for them. They bite best in the early morning, right around sunup. Good conditions are pre-storm, during a storm, or during a period of consistent weather. Post storm conditions are the worst. Jig fairly slowly for lakers, using the tube jig/bucktail's ability to flutter and entice strikes from the tight-lipped. Sometimes, you can tease them into coming off of the bottom and striking. If they will chase your tube, but not hit, a good thing to do is when you draw them up off the bottom, drop down onto the bottom below them. They will then head down to the bottom and quite often pick up your lure. That worked especially well for me yesterday. Don't expect macks to hit hard; most of the hits are taps, or a lot of added weight. Sometimes, your line will move up if they hit it from the bottom. If anything is different, hammer the hook home!
Here are my 3 favorite mack lakes:
1) Blue mesa. Still has a few big fish left. Very good morning bite, and then they shut down for the rest of the day, and sometimes have an evening bite. Most are 15-22" like everywhere, but this place gives you the best chance for a large fish, although it is only that a chance. For numbers, dry creek is a good area. For size, sapenero is good. Look for underwater islands or large flats. Lakers bottom hug here still, but are more apt to suspend than in most colorado reservoirs.
2) ruedi reservoir. This scenic reservoir is a good one for good numbers of small, willing to bite macks, and the rare large fish. Has perhaps the second most large fish next to blue mesa. most macks are 15-22" (although the ones I caught were like 15-18" this past weekend, it varies). I like fishing on flats with proximity to deep water here, or anywhere that drops off really quickly and has structure. They will bite all day here but morning is the best.
3) Taylor Park Reservoir. This place has a lot of healthy 15-22" macks with the rare large fish left. This place is notorious for finicky, picky, bottom-hugging macks. Is very good at first ice, around dec, and then is terrible in january and february. Fishing for large fish is at its best through the ice in march, although fishing can still be slow. Creek channels or a big flat can be a good place here. Morning bite, and then an afternoon bite. Slow during mid-day.

The above was just my opinion and I'm sure many people feel differently.

·
Registered
297 Posts
TFB you need top come fish the fork, give me a call when you get over here to school and we'll get together and go mac fishin

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I'll do that beerman. The fork sounds like a great place; trout, pike, and lakers.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Trout said:
99% of the people in this site will tell you to use tubes with cut bait.. Success depends on the lake but fish 30-70' move around and you will catch Macks. Granby Green and Williams are some good lakes if your coming from denver. Also buy a lake map and look for humps, flats next to deep water channels and you should be in the right area.
Trout's advice is right on the money, in my experience.  You can experiment with other lures, like bucktail jigs, and various spoons if the jigs aren't working for you.  I've caught macks on vertical jigging rapalas, krockadile spoons, and buckshot spoons, on occassion, but most times I don't have to stray from tube jigs and cut bait.

And TFB, definitely fish the Fork when you get a chance. It's not always fast, but it's just a great place that can produce some really nice fish.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
My only suggestion for the macks would be to use heavier line. You read alot of stories on this site about people losing big fish because of thier line. I would hate it if I broke off a big fish. I use 12lb floro and catch just as many lakers as most and don't lose any. Just remember this is for lakers only keep it 4lb floro for the trouties.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome to the addiction of lakers. All of the suggestions sound good except the stinger hook, which will increase mortality if it is not kept very short. Lake trout hit the head of the jig. My experience is this is just another hook that has to be pounded home in the hook set. The jigging with tubes most beginners find it easiest to lift the jig only 2"-4" off the bottom and return it slowly. I would start with a 3/8 oz to a 1/2 oz jig to get the feel of it. Try this in a 5 gal bucket and watch the action of the jig and how little the rod tip must travel to accomplish this lift. Lakers don't have a problem scooping the jig right off the bottom.

Enjoy,

·
Registered
100 Posts
What about Ham......Oh no...... dont want to get that one started. >:D

I have to agree w/ a glow or white tube tipped w/ Sucker Meat dipped in the Berkley Roe. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
funny you said that chief. I tried ham at granby a couple of weeks ago and didn't get any. I was really hoping to get one ;D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did anything else work? Honestly as far as pork products go I was thinking ....errr.... bacon might work, its oily and when I was a ladd we used it for Cats and it was effective. When it hits the water you can see the oil come off it. Next time I go I think I'll bring some just for the heck of it and a skillet so if it doesnt work it won't be a total loss. LOL

·
Registered
127 Posts
Lots of good advice here.... You might want to try using one rod with JUST sucker meat on a plain hook with a small split shot about 18" up,it always works great for me.I usually try to fish in 25'to45'of water,& usually about a foot off bottom. GOOD LUCK ! 8)

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
i use trebles with a small spilt shot, usually use sucker meat ,somtimes i use roe , i like bitsy tubes in 2 1/2 inch they worked great at green mountain

·
Registered
505 Posts
TroutFishingBear said:
I've been using a white tube jig/bucktail hybrid lure created by freshwater basics this year with pretty good success thus far.

Hey TFB I have been using the freshwater basics tube jig/bucktail as well with great success at Blue Mesa as well. I have only found them at Sportsman's Warehouse....Do you konw where else to get them?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Swedish pimples are deadly for lakers. I swear by them. seems to me they dance around more than a tube jig when jigging them and are more reflective or visible. besides, they are manufactured in upper penninsula Michigan, you'd think the youpers would know a thing or two about catching mackinaw. A six-pack of Pabst and a sandwich are also helpful. Good luck...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
hook said:
besides, they are manufactured in upper penninsula Michigan, you'd think the youpers would know a thing or two about catching mackinaw.
They couldn't catch a mack in colorado to save their lives. They fish completely different because their fish are completely different.

Fisher4ever, Sportsman's is the only place I've looked for them. They do work well though; combined my two favorite laker jigs!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
sure thing ken, I was just saying how different mack fishing is here in general but I said it in a poor way. I meant that if we got a youper straight from there that hadn't fished our lakes, and used their same methods they would struggle. Once a youper adjusts to our conditions here it doesn't matter. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts