Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The family and I will be making a trip out to Alaska this summer, and I'm looking into booking a fishing trip in Ketchikan. I'm planning on a 6 hour king salmon trip (Salmon Capital of the World!), but i'm wondering if anyone has experience with fishing out there.

I'm curious about halibut fishing instead, as I'm not sure I can pass up the chance of catching a 115 lb beast like the one below. Any experience/suggestions? Salmon or halibut?
Thanks!
Nate

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Nate,
good for you that will be fun
I am pretty sure chaz was up there last summer but I could be wrong. Maybe reach out to him

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
What time of year? I'm doing a lot of research on that area as I'm planning a trip up the inside passage from Bellingham Wash. to Homer ak. It sounds like the outer coast of Prince of Wales is the best Salmon fishing and the best time for kings is June and July.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Matt - I'll see what Chaz has to say.

Redleader- it'll be June, which is supposed to be the heart of the King run in Ketchikan, so I'm thinking it should be good. My main concern so far is that the salmon trip I'm looking at takes 6 people per boat, but only runs four lines. Not sure if that's common or what. That's the fishing excursion booked through our cruise, so it may not be the best.

Andy- yeah, I'll post pics, but not sure about the boots... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I went last June, with Alaska Glacier Adventures. We flew into Ketchikan and hung out for a couple days, then took a float plane over to klawock, where we fished four days. Ketchikan is a really cool place! Had fun walking the town and bar hopping at night... We got tons of rockfish, good numbers of halibut and ling, and some other species. Only 3 salmon in our group of 4, but we didn't spend much time fishing for them. This was the biggest...

·
Registered
113 Posts
The family and I will be making a trip out to Alaska this summer, and I'm looking into booking a fishing trip in Ketchikan. I'm planning on a 6 hour king salmon trip (Salmon Capital of the World!), but i'm wondering if anyone has experience with fishing out there.

I'm curious about halibut fishing instead, as I'm not sure I can pass up the chance of catching a 115 lb beast like the one below. Any experience/suggestions? Salmon or halibut?
Thanks!
Nate

I lived in Ketchikan for 10 years before we moved to new mexico
i will send you a PM

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I lived in Ketchikan for 10 years before we moved to new mexico
i will send you a PM
Send it to me also, I'll be passing through there.

Heres a few inspirational photos not Big BIg but great fighters and good eats.
Homer Kings

Kodiak king
Another Homer King

It sounds like the Best King fishing may be a pretty good boat ride to the outer coast of Prince of Wales but there may be some local runs and hatchery fish locally.
If possible I would suggest a Halibut trip.
The 4 rod deal is that the Charters normally run 4 downriggers is all they can run so you'll be taking turns, if it's a hot bite it won't matter. When we're into a good king bite I can limit out 6 anglers in less than an hour.
They do a lot of mooching instead of trolling in that area so be sure to ask ahead of time.
Stay in touch and give us a report, I may be there in the same time frame.
Get a pair of xtratuff boots so you don't look like a tourist.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ibgrizz -- got the pm, thanks!

Very nice fish, Chaz! Looks like you had a great time up there with the halibut and rockfish. I'm leaning toward a halibut trip...

Redleader, thanks for the great advice! Those are some very nice kings. I'll look more into the halibut trip, since it sounds like the salmon can be hit/miss. And thanks for clearing up the 4 lines/6 anglers issue. That makes sense, and makes me feel better about it. Thanks for the info on the xtratuff boots, too.

Question: Where do I even begin to look for some affordable waterproof bibs? Neon yellow or orange sounds good to me... ;)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, we had fun in Alaska. I got into some kings in Knudson cove in Ketchikan, biggest of the day was 24 lbs. Shipped meat back, can't wait to throw it on the grill! Those salmon sure fight like crazy...I must say I prefer catching them to Kokes ;)

Next time, I'm targeting halibut - damn they're tasty. Had our fill up there, and they make amazing fish n' chips.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts