Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to do some repairs on my boat trailer and wanted some inout on what to do with the boat while doing it? Is there somewhere to float the boat while im doing the repair? I just need to tighten some bolts but cant do it while the boat is on it,

-Jay

·
Registered
28 Posts
If the repairs won't take that long to do, you could bring along a friend or two the next time you put the boat in. Launch the boat (your friends driving) and go tend to your repairs. Bring cell phones, call them when you're done, and they'll pick you up at the boat ramp.

If your repairs are going to take longer, you could try one of the larger reservoirs -- there's probably an empty spot at one of the marinas. I'm guessing if you're willing to pay, you could leave your boat there for a day or two while you fix your trailer.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I had to replace a couple of rollers on my boat this spring. What I did is I made a cradle for the keel then put it on a floor jack and jacked it up. I used a jack stand to support it and then used a couple of old 4x4s I had and placed them across the frame of the trailer and put my makeshift cradle for the keel on them. I lowered the boat onto the cradle and it did not wobble or anything. Replaced my rollers and was ready to go. On a fibreglass boat i would not do it this way since there is a lot of pressure when jacking in a small area and you could crack or puncture it much easier.

Of course since you can float your boat right now you could just run it to Chatfield, float it and anchor just off the shore at the marina and make your quick repair in the parking lot. I would have done that but I made my repairs before the reservoir opened.

Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts