Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe slayer or someone can answet this one,

r there fish in summit lake, the one up on mt evans?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Summit lake has rainbows in it and possible cutthroat as Chicago Creek and the 3 Chicago lakes up there all have cutthroat.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Hey I was gone all weekend-I heartd that Summit lake winter kills every winter.the only fish it had were stockers. Now Echo lake has some fish in it.They get large if they dont winterkill.Call denver mountain parks.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
summit lake has rainbows cutthroats and its a really deep lake so i seroulsly dought it gets winter kill i know echo lake does and this past spring when the ice came off all the trout in echo were dead it was said cause every rainbow i;ve caught there has been 18 inches and bigger echo lake is only 5 feet deep

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I've posed this question to people before. There is a site on the net about fishing around Mt. Evans that says it's a sterile lake, but I've run across several people who say they've caught fish in there. Maybe the were catching stockers. Don't know if there's a naturally reproducing population. It's worth a try since it is just off the road and not difficult to access. Believe it or not, I've been wondering if there were fish in there since the age of seven, and I always thought the answer was no-looks barren to me.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
You are wrong,CFK,Summit lake is shallow and is virtually devoid of fish.You must be thinking of Abyss lake or Lincoln lake or something else.I agree that echo lake is shallow and usually winterkills,but they stock it every year.Not so with Summit lake!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts