Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has experience with a sundolphin two-man. Something like:

I'm thinking to jump into the boating scene with something small for me and my bro to pond hop and fish the back coves of larger reservoirs.

Open to other ideas, too. But the thought of having a trolling motor is a plus. Something to fit in the back of my truck and in my garage is another reason I'm looking at this one.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Duck hunted out of one on the Gunnison River a few times south of GJ. Think it was an 8'ish model (didn't go much past the tailgate), and maybe a different brand (Pelican?) but it worked really well for busting birds on a float. Handled around 500 pounds of dudes/dogs/gear no problem. Hiking it up and out of the river was the work.

If 10' is a sweet spot, you may also consider an aluminum jon boat. They are about the same cost but IMO the aluminum is much more ergonomic if you would use solo (loading that other will be a bear). you can also find nice used jon boats that would save some money to be spent on the equipment.

Either way, good thought process!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Duck hunted out of one on the Gunnison River a few times south of GJ. Think it was an 8'ish model (didn't go much past the tailgate), and maybe a different brand (Pelican?) but it worked really well for busting birds on a float. Handled around 500 pounds of dudes/dogs/gear no problem. Hiking it up and out of the river was the work.

If 10' is a sweet spot, you may also consider an aluminum jon boat. They are about the same cost but IMO the aluminum is much more ergonomic if you would use solo (loading that other will be a bear). you can also find nice used jon boats that would save some money to be spent on the equipment.

Either way, good thought process!
Thanks for the info! I’ll look into aluminum, too. Yeah, it would be good to be able to load myself, if I ever want to go solo.

Thanks, Mike — maybe Hobie will chime in. Don’t much like the term death boat, but i guess that could be fitting in certain cases...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I have fished once on that type of water craft. It was fairly stable. My friend had an electric trolling motor on it. It was pretty easy to move around and troll. Anchoring up was OK with a small anchor. Set one up with an 80 lb GPS guided trolling motor and it would be a sweet rig! ;D I thought about getting one myself to get into certain lakes/ponds, but I don't have a truck.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have fished once on that type of water craft. It was fairly stable. My friend had an electric trolling motor on it. It was pretty easy to move around and troll. Anchoring up was OK with a small anchor. Set one up with an 80 lb GPS guided trolling motor and it would be a sweet rig! ;D I thought about getting one myself to get into certain lakes/ponds, but I don't have a truck.
Yeah, that's kinda the idea -- to access certain lakes/ponds that only allow electric...some of my favorite spots. ;D

·
Registered
24,568 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Buy a foot powered kayak. Hobie, Jackson, Native.
No need to register, only a sonar battery needed. Can launch most anywhere. Paddles are a useable back up if your drive dies.
You can buy a cart that allows you to haul it, if you can't drive to the shore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts