Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
When they're shallow-early spring after ice out and fall-the spawn. Don't think you would do much good with them right now but its not far off-guess it depends on how high up you're fishing.

Flukes are also a great lure for pike-any time.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
If you can get it in front of them and present it in a manner that triggers a reaction... they will eat it... of course that is true with any lure. Give them a try.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes, I take the screw with the eyelid from the banjo minnow series - screw it in the front of the fluke, run a hook thru the eye - you get amazing action

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Thanks. I plan on it. Tomorrow while I try for smallies and pike for sure. And later for the macs.

if youre going where i think you are, youre probably going to have very little luck for mackinaws this early in the season since water there is still too warm. your best bet is to get to a main lake point, huck a big tube jig with a one oz weight as far as you can get out, and let that ***** sink. in that lake youre looking at a minute, minute and a half time till it hits bottom i bet... id suggest suckerchucking but I don't wanna be an arse-hole. big krocodiles will work too and widen your potential for other fish in the lake as well.

if you wanna use a fluke or any type of lure like that, i suggest going further west in a week or so after another snow event in the mountains, or after the next moon phase. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if youre going where i think you are, youre probably going to have very little luck for mackinaws this early in the season since water there is still too warm. your best bet is to get to a main lake point, huck a big tube jig with a one oz weight as far as you can get out, and let that ***** sink. in that lake youre looking at a minute, minute and a half time till it hits bottom i bet... id suggest suckerchucking but I don't wanna be an arse-hole. big krocodiles will work too and widen your potential for other fish in the lake as well.

if you wanna use a fluke or any type of lure like that, i suggest going further west in a week or so after another snow event in the mountains, or after the next moon phase. just my 2 cents.
Yeah brotha. Macs are manaña. I want other predators today. Thanks for the input though.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I like to use flukes for bass and Pike, never tried them for lakers. It's not my favorite lure, I miss some fish because they sometimes hit the body of the lure and not the head of it where I put the hook. But I usually fish them to fast. Slower presentation the better with a fluke from my experience

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I like to use flukes for bass and Pike, never tried them for lakers. It's not my favorite lure, I miss some fish because they sometimes hit the body of the lure and not the head of it where I put the hook. But I usually fish them to fast. Slower presentation the better with a fluke from my experience
How are you rigging a fluke with a hook at the head?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I like the 5" on a 1/8 - 1/4 oz. jig head early season for Eyes...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts