Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Interesting thought on forming a group for purchasing leverage! I do not understand the hatred for stores like Wal Mart? I would imagine that the same thing happened way back when Sears put out it's first catolog.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i think the hatered for wal-mart comes from its size and most people either dont know or forget that wal-mart is the ultimate american story and dream it started as the old nickel and dime stores in ar. and in 35+ years has become the biggest private employer in the world i dont believe that it still holds thye vision that mr walton had for it it is amazing i think he would pay more for good employees verses hiring new ones every week. anyways how can you argue with shopping their i mean i am 23 married and have 3 kids a good job but it allows me to enjoy my sport and do it on a budget.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm all about more purchasing power. Why spend more when you don't have to.

I don't like that Cabelas is moving here because now I have to either drive up there or order from the catalog and pay shipping at sales tax.

Either way, it's going to cost me more to buy from Cabelas.

I imagine Uncle Milty will be seeing more of me in the future!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
it just amazes me on your guys attitudes toward the small shops in town. i hope somebody tells you at your current jobs that you need to work harder and take a cut in pay or else find something else to do.if sam walton saw what happened to his company hed role in his grave.but it shouldnt surprise me this has become the attitude of this country . no wonder were in trouble.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I work in the tech industry and I do live live it everyday no regrets. If my job goes to india or whatever I will not cry about I will do something else.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
lurp said:
it just amazes me on your guys attitudes toward the small shops in town. i hope somebody tells you at your current jobs that you need to work harder and take a cut in pay or else find something else to do.if sam walton saw what happened to his company hed role in his grave.but it shouldnt surprise me this has become the attitude of this country . no wonder were in trouble.
Am I supposed to have sympathy and spend more? I don't get it.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
The shops I was talking about, (and I won't name names), were not only gouging me, but they didn't even share information or appreciate my substantial business. Besides the Super stores employ a hell of alot more people anyway!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I see both sides to this post and the more i think about it . If a local shop owner has treated his customers well over the years he has built up a customer base that wont leave and should be ok . If hes been rude and hasnt shared any info he's done . I wish cutthroat anglers or whatever its called in silverthorn goes under . what a bunch of turds when i was working at guitar center when i was younger i thought i see one of the "master fly anglers with no social skills " in the store looking to buy an acoustic . I was gonna show him a few guitars and just start rippin on them to make him feel the way everyone at there store made me feel .....go figure wrong guy I lost the sale for being a turd myself .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
fishinguitars said:
I see both sides to this post and the more i think about it . If a local shop owner has treated his customers well over the years he has built up a customer base that wont leave and should be ok . If hes been rude and hasnt shared any info he's done . I wish cutthroat anglers or whatever its called in silverthorn goes under . what a bunch of turds when i was working at guitar center when i was younger i thought i see one of the "master fly anglers with no social skills " in the store looking to buy an acoustic . I was gonna show him a few guitars and just start rippin on them to make him feel the way everyone at there store made me feel .....go figure wrong guy I lost the sale for being a turd myself .
Don't get me started about how I was treated when I walked in to Guitar Center and said, "I just started playing guitar and need a distortion pedal. I'm not sure which one is good." LOL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
those guys at guitar center have so much play when it comes to pricing ...never pay the sticker price on anything if you get a cool salesmen youll save a buttload of money

G

·
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
fishinguitars said:
those guys at guitar center have so much play when it comes to pricing ...never pay the sticker price on anything if you get a cool salesmen youll save a buttload of money
They match internet pricing too which is cool. I'm kind of partial to Pro Sound. They just seem to not care what my skill level is as much.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Vally country is coo, but i agree the old man there is not customer friendly at all. Gander Mt in aurora is coo they got some things sportsmens doesnt have. I think they need to hire more people in the fishing department cause a few times i had to wait for someone to help me and it took a while. Sportmens warehouse in aurora is the best store i have been to. Most of the people there are friendly. One dude was pretty rude but im not gonna say anything about it. Mike,Jeff,The guy that caught the 15lb cat out of cherry creek and the guy that helped me with a cast net those are good people.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
that guy in there is a totall turd. when I was 18 and got my first credit card I was all excited to get some stuff ...i opend the card didnt even think about activating it and went down there got all the stuff I wanted he swiped the card once told me it was not good ...I told him i just got it and forgot to activate it can he wait a minute or two while i use the phone ...he said no everytime he swipes a card its costs him money to get cash or leave...I havent been back and will never go back ...What a prick to think now i spend anywhere from 150-500 a month on fishing stuff that could have been his ......this is a bad thing to say but it wont hurt my feelings at all if the superstores take him out .....giles alkire for president

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
The super stores are double edged sword. Selection and prices can't be ignored and I spend lots of money on fishing as do alot of you. (See previous thread http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=1069.0 )

At the small local shops you get the personal touch, advice on when, where and how to fish and often name recognition.

I have to shop the Big Boxes but prefer the smaller stores.

Dan

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
fishinguitars said:
that guy in there is a totall turd. when I was 18 and got my first credit card I was all excited to get some stuff ...i opend the card didnt even think about activating it and went down there got all the stuff I wanted he swiped the card once told me it was not good ...I told him i just got it and forgot to activate it can he wait a minute or two while i use the phone ...he said no everytime he swipes a card its costs him money to get cash or leave...I havent been back and will never go back ...What a prick to think now i spend anywhere from 150-500 a month on fishing stuff  that could have been his ......this is a bad thing to say but it wont hurt my feelings at all if the superstores take him out .....giles alkire for president

If you're talking about Country Valley: Another thiing I dont like is If I want to use my card the order has to be more then $10.00. While I understand credit card fews can be a killer to a retailer its part of doing business. Sometimes I just want to pickup some minnows and worms but end up having to buy more then I need. SUX

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

21 - 40 of 43 Posts