Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would seriously doubt it! Most flies that look that good are made with materials that are very rigid and lack any kind of natural movement once they get wet. Man I'm proud of my flies, but I would seriously have a hard time at $3 a piece......

·
Registered
936 Posts
"SUPERFLIES ARE 100% GUARANTEED TO CATCH YOU FISH!"

Never use the "g" word when talking about catching fish. It's just a bad omen.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm also partial to superfly the band, even though I don't understand a lick of Japanese.

Seriously tho; even Dave Hughes (fly fishing author) states there are "few situations" were imitative patterns are needed.

Good enough for him + good enough for you guys = good enough for me!... but I do still carry a handful of imitative patterns; just in case.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
It's size or color or both that generally effect a flies catch rate if fish are being selective, not exact imitations, this given you're actually fishing the correct water column.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's size or color or both that generally effect a flies catch rate if fish are being selective, not exact imitations, this given you're actually fishing the correct water column.
Yeah totally.

However IMO the shape of the fly does matter enough between the major orders of insects to pay attention to in many cases, even with impressionistic styles.

e.g. If you're targeting a caddis hatch, a stone fly may not be the best choice.

But that's pretty much common sense.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Yeah totally.

However IMO the shape of the fly does matter enough between the major orders of insects to pay attention to in many cases, even with impressionistic styles.

e.g. If you're targeting a caddis hatch, a stone fly may not be the best choice.

But that's pretty much common sense.
Absolutely agree on shape!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I have found that the more money paid or time spent tying a fly, the more likely you are to hook something on the first few casts... Usually a tree or rock that you cannot reach to get your fly back.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts