Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, so lately at my home lake in Colorado i have been fishing an area in the evening where the bass are surfacing very actively. It's in an area where there are a lot of weed and there is a thick plants right in way you need to cast. This seems to be a more common theme in recent years (surfacing fish with no caught fish) and i'm just curious if anyone of you could explain this/ give me some advice to catch them. I have used almost every technique i know of that can be used around weeds.. aka top water, flukes, and soft plastics, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits (There is an abundance of yellow perch, some bluegil, freshly stocked trout + bass, and supposivly shad)

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Are they going after flying insects? Down at Alan Henry in TX they have a dragonfly hatch this time of year and its amazing all the bass jumping out of the water to get at them. The dragonflys would hover above the water around bushes and the bass would jump clear of the water. These were all schooling size bass doing this, never saw any fish over 2-3 lbs.

And the key to all this was clear water so the bass could see whats flying overhead and Alan Henry has very clear water.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Downsizing lures as much as your rod, reel and line will allow is also a great way to get bit. Young of the year fish are thick this time of year. If they are keyed into that size of bait.......you better get to learning the flyrod. :eek:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Kirby,

I have witnessed said dragon/damsel fly phenomenon at AH. It was maddening. I've been to lots of places where a buzzbait just crushes em when they are chasing those flies. BUT not at AH, never got a single bite from those fish. SMH

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Only thing that worked for me when they were chasing dragonflies was a T rigged weightless senko. They would either hit it in the first 2-3 seconds or you could reel in and try again. Casting accuracy was the key-had to be right where you saw them last surface.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
If no fly rod, a fly/bubble with a white or silver bugger or muddler with a weed guard might kick some arse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all he help, i'm not entirely sure if it is bugs or baitfish, but the bass we have seen are 1-6lb largeys, and 1-4lb smallies (the ones that completely surface which are afair amount) i'll have to try to figure out fly fishing i guess

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Until you master the fly rod, give the fly and bubble a shot. Look it up on you-tube. Easy to do with spinning gear and very effective.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts