Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good stuff.  But that ice looked like it was cut.  I wonder about when it breaks and you cant pull yourself up because it just keeps breaking???

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
AJ said:
Good stuff.  But that ice looked like it was cut.  I wonder about when it breaks and you cant pull yourself up because it just keeps breaking???
Thats why he said try and return to the ice that you came from, the ice there should be solid enough to support you. Going forward may put you on thinner ice then what you fell threw. Eventually the ice you are trying to swim your way back onto will hold. (hopefully)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lucky7 said:
Is that video played with a windows media player?  i can't get it to play.
I don't think so. When I click on the link a new web page pops up in a new window and it starts on its own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I went through at Gross, I was very calm. I don't really remember coming out, and I don't remember being cold at all. The walk out was pretty warm as well. I was up to my arm pits. I think your body just goes into survival mode.

Chad

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
lucky7 said:
Thanks Don. I own a MAc so it is probably a PC only software.
You should be able to find the codec to play it for your mac.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Don,

This is an excellent post, and an outstanding video; learned a ton.

It's always a great idea to never ice alone, and always carry a pair of ice picks, I just can't say this enough. If you're with a crew that doesn't carry a throw rope than it's up to you to complete a self rescue. The icepicks with the kicking method should do the trick. This video changed my entire perception on how much time you actually have to save yourself. Not panicking is key.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pete said:
This video changed my entire perception on how much time you actually have to save yourself.  Not panicking is key.
Those are the key things I took away, too, Pete. Don't panic, you do have more time to act than I would have thought.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks Don for shareing that info. im going ice fishing for my first time this year and being new to the game i didnt know a whole lot on what to do if you do fall through the ice now i have a greater understanding on what i may want to do in a situation of that magnatude. Hopefully none of us will ever have to go through something like that. Thanks again I think my wife feels a little better about the whole ice fishing buisness

Thanks James

1 - 14 of 14 Posts