Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used those "Storm" trout and shad swimbaits some, mostly trolled them, had moderate success with trout and wipers hitting. Anyone found the right pattern or knocked 'em dead? I've found that some random "Crazy Ivans" will change the pace of the troll and sometimes induce some action. Similar results maybe obtained by picking up your rod between handfulls of peanuts, bowls, beers, etc........... O0

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
36" x 25" -- You sure that wasn't somebody's old door mat? ;D

Sometimes you can do well on the swimbaits very early in the spring after ice-out but the water is still cold. Walleyes and smallmouth bass (pre-spawn) will take them in shallower water. I have never caught a trout on one. Later on in the season, I think other lures will do better.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
They work well on northerns in some situations. Also, my dad has caught some huge bluegill at jerry creek using a big ole storm wildeye swimbait. I've also caught some bass on them.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Nothing wild but I did lose a 36 inch rainbow at the boat on a Storm Swimming Shad a couple of years ago.

Ok so it was probably closer to 20-22. But it was still on a Storm Swimming Shad.

Dan

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Dan said:
Nothing wild but I did lose a 36 inch rainbow at the boat on a Storm Swimming Shad a couple of years ago.

Ok so it was probably closer to 20-22.  But it was still on a Storm Swimming Shad.

Dan
sure that wasnt 3-6inch?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
ouch!!! everyone needs to quit picking on dan. little fish need love too. i've caught some nice northerns and actually some smallies on the storm swimbaits. and i've lost like 300 of them baits to the bottom at the arsenal.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I use the 4 and 5" Storm baits alot at night, when fishing from shore. Very cost effective when fishing in snaggy area's!!! Pike like them also! I have had much better success if i just slowly reel them in, as opposed to jigging.

I did real well last spring on the dam at Bonny for walleye and White bass casting  a 4" Walleye Assasin with the Chartruese paddle tail on a 1/16 to 1/8 oz jighead. If the the 1/8 snags too ften then switch to the 1/16. I had alot of success at Aurora and several other lakes last year swimming 4 and 5" curly tail grubs (Yamamoto Super grubs) steadly along the bottom. Almost every smallie I caught at Aurora last year fell to that combo!

F

·
0 Posts
I use swimbaits for active trout and of course bass and northerns....same as jamie the bottom of lake ladora owes me some cash!!! Big rainbow pattern swimbaits are killer at quincy

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
jamiehughes said:
ouch!!! everyone needs to quit picking on dan. little fish need love too. i've caught some nice northerns and actually some smallies on the storm swimbaits. and i've lost like 300 of them baits to the bottom at the arsenal.
Thanks for the support Jamie!  But don't worry, remember I am a moderator and have the power of deleting (and editing) everybodies posts! ;)

Some day when its least expected...........LOL

Dan

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
fishinguitars said:
Big rainbow pattern swimbaits are killer at quincy
how big is big?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts